BOT adopts in-state tuition for veterans
No matter their location in the country, military veterans will now be able to pay in-state tuition at USF as the Board of Trustees approved a measure Monday, following passage of HB 7015 by the state Legislature and approval of Fla. Gov. Rick Scott.
The bill, set to go into effect July 1, allows veterans to qualify for in-state tuition at Florida colleges and universities — almost one-third the price of out-of-state tuition.
Bryan Robinson, an Air Force veteran and a senior majoring in criminology, said it would have benefited him a couple of years ago, but he’s glad the change will come soon for veterans hoping to get an affordable education.
“I was out of state, so I had to wait a whole year to just apply for this school because they wanted twice as much money,” he said. “(Now) I think it will bring a lot more students to USF.”
Giovanni Marinello, an Army veteran and junior mechanical engineering major, said he thinks the bill would also benefit the university’s finances.
“The way the GI Bill is set up — it only covers the maximum in-state tuition, so the school would actually have to provide financial aid for the other half,” he said. “Before, we had to rely on the Yellow Ribbon program, and we only had (few) spots for undergrads, and now it provides more slots (for veterans).”
“I think it’s wonderful to pass and I hope to see more students at USF,” Marinello said. “It will make Florida state institutions stand out as veteran-friendly.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor