Bookstore should capitalize on students equally

On November 21, 2013

It’s that time of year again. TV stations flood the airwaves with Christmas films, radio stations assault your ears with “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” memes spouting “Jesus is the reason for the season” flood Facebook and stores decorate with fake trees and spew green and red as reminders of the little time that shoppers have to buy presents for family and friends.

It seems that USF’s Barnes & Noble bookstore has succumbed to society’s marketing ploys and has put up a Christmas tree in the foyer and has hung stockings in its cafe with care in hopes that students will soon shop for presents there.

However, with a student population as diverse as USF, Barnes & Noble should take into account all the students and holidays they are leaving out with their festive adornments.

Students will not even be on campus during Christmas, but Hanukkah begins next Wednesday at sundown. Where are the menorahs to remind Jewish students to stock up on presents for the eight days of the Festival of Lights?

Even the table that says “Holiday Spirit” that is intended to sound politically correct and inclusive is only lined with Christmas books and trinkets. There are no books on Hanukkah or Kwanzaa in sight. There is a green Santa hat with a Bulls’ logo, but no dreidels to show school spirit. The only item available for sale that breaks away from Christmas is the very limited variety of Hanukkah greeting cards to choose from.

As much as Christians would like to engrain the phrase “Jesus is the reason for the season” to all of their nonbeliever friends. Really, it is just a day for everyone to monetarily show their friends and family how much they mean to them.

So if stores are willing to capitalize on one holiday built around the desperation of one group of people vying for admiration of someone close to them, shouldn’t the stores take advantage of the opportunities that other communities offer?

At a school that repeatedly touts how diverse and inclusive it is, one would think its on-campus bookstore would try to take advantage of all groups of students, not just those who celebrate Christmas.

Shaunda Wickham is a senior majoring in mass communications.