Boards will be crucial for Bulls moving forward
Its been the story of the season for the USF mens basketball team: tough performance on the glass resulting in tough performances on the scoreboard.
When the Bulls hit the hardwood for their fourth game in five days, they will look to flip the script and avoid being outrebounded for the third time in the first five games of the season. USF was outrebounded 38-27 in a five-point loss to Western Michigan on Sunday.
I think when we have games like that we have to be more active on the offensive boards and guys like Rudd and Poland need to step up, coach Stan Heath said following the game. Id really like to get one of them going. Id love to have both of them going, but not having either is a big loss in production. Even if theyre not getting it from shooting, they can get it from off the glass.
Though the Bulls were expected to struggle with rebounding thanks to a smaller roster that is more conducive to speed rather than size, Heath said the team needs to get back to the rebounding identity that helped them succeed a season ago.
We were better in our ball screen defense in the second half (against Western Michigan), he said. But we have to get better at rotations and covering down which is contributing to our struggles in rebounding.
While the Bulls are combating a lack of size across the roster, they also have to deal with figuring out a constant starting lineup and rotation.
Through four games in 2012, the Bulls have had four separate starting lineups with only sophomore point guard Anthony Collins, junior forward Victor Rudd Jr. and senior forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick retaining their starting spot in all four games.
There are definitely some things that we as coaches can do better to help us improve on offense, and helping certain guys get better at handling certain situations, Heath said.
With the first road game of the season against Stetson and games against Georgia at home and Oklahoma State on the road facing the team on the horizon after tonights game against Bradley, finishing will be key for the 2-2 Bulls.
We had some three-pointers and some layups that just didnt go down, Heath said. And we got into the bonus early but didnt take advantage of it. There were a couple of chances at the end, a layup and a short jump shot, where we could have taken the lead but we didnt and they came back with a score. Weve got to become better at finishing.
The Bulls will tip off against the Bradley Braves at the Sun Dome tonight at 7:30, and will seek to get back onto the positive side of the rebounding margin.
I dont like getting outrebounded, Heath said. I think thats a staple of our team. Rebounding needs to be a strength. Every time weve gotten outrebounded, its been a tough game for us. Our wings have to be a little more involved on the offensive glass so we can find ways to win even if shots arent falling.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists