‘Biggest Loser’ coach to speak on healthy living for students

On October 14, 2013

Over the past four years, Dolvett Quince has been inspiring Americans to eat healthier and get up off the couch as a trainer on NBC’s “The Biggest Loser.”

Today, Quince will bring his knowledge of health and fitness to USF’s University Lectures Series (ULS) at 8 p.m. in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom.

Quince will add a college spin to his training program and offer advice about techniques students can use in order to maintain healthy living on campus as well as avoiding the “Freshman 15.”

Woodra Keene, executive director of ULS, said she thinks students will be surprised by what they get out of Quince’s message.

“It’s not going to be just him lecturing people on how to be healthy,” she said. “He’s going to be talking about keeping a balance between class, food and social life, exercise and ways to change their lives without changing their lives too much.”

Though Quince was not a choice on the ULS survey students were asked to vote on over the summer, Keene said he has positive name recognition, his message would also benefit students who may not have learned important health lessons yet.

“Over the summer we spent a lot of time discussing all of our ideas and people’s suggestions and he just seemed like a really positive person,” Keene said. “Not to mention health and wellness are something students start to learn about in college or need to learn about in college because they are on their own for the first time.”

CJ Vila, coordinator for the Center for Student Involvement , said he hopes students pick up on the theme that ULS is trying to convey this semester.

“Something we’re hoping the students really notice is not only are we getting good speakers and good talent, but there is a message also being sent,” Villa said. “We hope to give a good balance of work, class and social life and that they get a positive and useful message.”

After the speech, 50 students will be able to meet Quince and get autographs.

CSI will give away 50 tickets this morning on a first-come, first-serve basis starting at 9 a.m. in the CSI office located on the second floor of the Marshall Student Center. Only one ticket per person will be given.

Quince will be paid $23,500 for his lecture.

Keene said she hopes the speech will impact student’s lives and they will aspire to have a healthier lifestyle.

“Whether they are thinking about how many hours they sleep or creating a healthy meal plan instead of ordering food through a drive-thru, hopefully students will see a new way to look at their health and consider it more,” she said.

Doors open for the event at 7:30 p.m.