Best bets: All around USF Athletics in 114 days
Entering the first year of college is a new experience for everyfreshman. With a self-chosen schedule,larger classes, and on-campus living, every day is filled with decisions. Thanks to limited time and overlapping schedules, choosing which athletic events to attend can become another tough decision.
The Oracle predicts the six must-see games of the season.
Florida State Seminoles,Raymond James Stadium, Saturday, Sept. 29 (Time TBA)
The focus of most fans atten- tion, many students choose to attend multiple football games. For a student looking to get as many sports in as possible, however, the clear choice for one football game is the Bulls date with their in-state rival, the Seminoles. The game will be a rematch of USFs 17-7 victory in Tallahassee in 2009, which marked the start of BJ Daniels career as the starting quarterback for the Bulls. If both teams enter the game at 4-0, as is expected, ESPNs College Gameday could travel to Tampa for the first time in USF history.
Louisville Cardinals,Corbett Soccer Stadium, Wednesday, Oct. 17 (7:00 p.m.)
Though football may be the most widely attended sport, the most successful fall team in 2011 was the USF Mens Soccer team. After riding the first unbeaten conference season in Big East history to the NCAA Tournaments Elite Eight, the Bulls look to build on a historic 2011 campaign. In what could prove to be one of the biggest conference games of the teams season, the Bulls matchup with the Louisville Cardinals, who made the Big East tournament semifinals and the NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen. The game will be televised nationally on ESPNU.
Louisville Cardinals,Corbett Soccer Stadium, Sunday, Sept. 30 (1:00 p.m.) After their first NCAA Tournament appearance in 2010, the Bulls were unable to duplicate their success in 2011, missing out on both the Big East and NCAA tournaments.
Led by coach Denise Schilte-Brown and speedy forward Demi Stokes, the Bulls will look to return to the top of the conference. One of their largest hurdles will be the Cardinals, who made the Big East title game and NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen in 2011. USF will look to make their mark during a Sunday afternoon matchup with Louisville, with their fans packing the stadium.
UCF Knights, USF Sun Dome, Saturday, Nov. 10 (Time TBA)
The Class of 2016 is fortunate, as their time at the university will be marked by the continued improvement of the schools athletic facilities and sports programs on the rise. The most recent addition to the facilities is the newly renovated Sun Dome, which was opened with 2012 spring commencement ceremonies, and will be home to a mens basketball team coming off of the most successful season in school history. The Bulls will start their season with a match against fierce rival Central Florida, and fans will be in full-throttle for the reopening of the Sun Dome.
Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, USF Sun Dome, Wednesday, Dec. 5 (Time TBA)
After a season in which the team made the third round of the National Invitational Tournament, the Bulls will look to continue their ascent and attempt to make the NCAA Tournament for the first time since the 2005-2006 season. The team will have a big chance to notch a quality out-of-conference win when they play the Eagles in Tampa on December 5. Florida Gulf Coast is coming off of an impressive season, going 29-3, in- cluding an 18-0 conference mark before losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
Georgetown Hoyas, Sun Dome Corral, Sunday, Nov. 11 (2:00 p.m.)
No matter what a teams re- cord is, the celebration of Senior Day is a guaranteed must- watch. With no other Senior Days listed, incoming freshmen should take advantage of the op- portunity to celebrate with the USF Volleyball team. The team is entering a new era, with the departure of Claire Lessinger and the addition of Courtney Draper, and fans can experience the new-look Bulls while also honoring the teams outgoing seniors during the Veterans Day weekend.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses