Assad unlikely to cooperate with chemical weapons deal
It seems like the best way to describe the war in Syria is to compare it to a game of charades.
While Obama announced Tuesday that a vote on striking Syria would be delayed as they pursue multilateral diplomatic actions, as recently as Monday, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad denied accusations for the Aug. 21 chemical attacks in Syria that garnered global attention in a CBS television interview held in Damascus.
Obama announced the strikes on Syria would be put on hold if Assad turns in Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile to international control, but his denials make it difficult to believe that he will cooperate with this deal.
For Assad to agree to such a deal is symbolic in many ways.
His supposed agreement to the terms of this deal clarifies to all the skeptical people out there that Assad does indeed have access to such harmful weapons, and at the same time, by agreeing, he gives the image of somehow taking responsibility for the use of chemical weapons.
In the interview with CBS, Assad threatened the U.S. with retaliation from Hezbollah and Iran if they were to attack Syria.
Knowing this, it would be expected that Assad’s confidence would be enough to make him hold his ground on his threat, leading him to refuse to turn in his chemical weapons.
Turning in the chemical weapons, in a way, seems like a submission.
According to U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, clear evidence was gathered that proves the Syrian government was indeed responsible for the chemical attacks. He also claims that the rockets used for the chemical attacks had come from the government-controlled area of Qasioun, hitting rebel-controlled areas.
Being the president of Syria, Assad would seemingly be able to clear his name by gathering evidence of the group or individual responsible for the attack. Not doing so has put Assad in a corner where his word is against the evidence that has been presented against him.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Not Seeing a Chiropractor Could Cost You
- Steampunk Steamrolls Into Living Rooms Nationwide
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS