Armstrong confession falls flat with supporters
Invincibility, by his own admission, was something that Lance Armstrong had felt he embodied. He was a person that lived the perfect life, and was the underdog that came out on top, despite the grim circumstances of cancer. To me, he was one of those people who defied the odds and became an inspiration to millions of people.
The winner of seven consecutive Tours de France had all of his records after 1998 disqualified in late 2012, due to his use of performance-enhancing drugs and blood doping.
In a highly-publicized interview with Oprah Winfrey last week, Armstrong admitted to doping in order to win all of his Tour de France titles. But the most disturbing part was the fact that he admitted it would have been impossible to attain his track record without doping. He acknowledged that he used everything from Erythropoietin (EPO) to blood transfusions in order to do anything to win.
But to used doping to win the race and determination to beat cancer in the same sentence is shameful.
Furthermore, he still had the nerve to maintain he had stayed clean during his comeback in 2009 and 2010 a claim that runs directly against the USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) report.
After facing a verdict that banned him from professional cycling for life by the USADA, he joined the pantheon of lying sports personalities the newest addition after the similarly heralded Tiger Woods.
But for people like me who have grown up listening to Armstrongs heroic deeds, its almost as if we faced yet another band aid of trust ripped off. The worst part is hearing he feels like he doesnt deserve the death penalty. Armstrong thinks that people are going too far in his defamation. It is one thing to apologize, and another to actually mean it.
Akshita Sathe is a freshman majoring in psychology and behavioral health.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge