'Genshaft Drive' prepares for mid-August unveiling

By Alyssa Stewart, EDITOR IN CHIEF
On June 18, 2019

The street-naming project has a total cost of $35,000. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

Even with the departure of President Judy Genshaft, you will still be able to see her name around campus.

Specifically, on a street sign.

The Board of Trustees (BOT) made the decision to change the name of USF Maple Drive to USF Genshaft Drive to commemorate Genshaft’s 19-year tenure. The construction is scheduled to be completed between Aug. 5 and 16 so that it can be unveiled by mid-August.

The decision to rename Maple Drive was because of the recent announcement of the Judy Genshaft Honors College building.

The honors college will be built north of the Muma College of Business alongside the soon-to-be Genshaft Drive. Genshaft unveiled the news last month and announced that she will be donating $20 million to help build it.

The project has a total cost of $35,000, according to university spokesperson Althea Paul.

The cost for the new address names for the pedestal signs is approximately $16,000. This includes the eight buildings along the street and replacing three mounted street posts on the north side of Maple Drive.

Paul said the upgrades for electrification and energy efficient LED lighting for the 11 signs at the three major intersections along Maple Drive will cost about $19,000. This is being done in order to have the lighting up to the current USF standard and so there are not any unlit intersections.

The BOT wanted to rename the street after Genshaft to thank her for her unwavering support to the university.

“President Genshaft’s commitment and passion to the University of South Florida has been remarkable throughout the past 19 years,” BOT Chair Jordan Zimmerman said. “She has given so much, in so many ways and our Board of Trustees felt renaming the street on campus where the future Genshaft Honors College building will be located was a perfect way to permanently honor her legacy.”