Student survey to measure experience with diversity, inclusion, sexual assault

By Niamh Larkin, STAFF WRITER
On April 23, 2019

The survey has been sent to student emails as well as promoted at tabling events and posters across campus. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/OFFICE OF DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. 

A “Student Climate Survey” has been sent to students by the Office of the Registrar and the Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Equal Opportunity (DIEO) aiming to understand USF’s on-campus experience.

The survey includes 39 questions relating to student issues such as sexual violence, interpersonal violence and other diversity issues that are related to race or inequities.

The goal is to gain results that will determine if the environment at USF is inclusive and safe, according to the survey consent form. 

The survey was first sent April 8 and will be open for responses until April 29. As of April 19, the response rate was 10 percent, but in order for the results to be valid, it has to reach 15 percent. 

As an incentive, students who fill out the survey will be entered in a giveaway to win an Apple Watch, wireless Beats headphones or a gift card.

The survey was sent to student emails as well as promoted at tabling events and posters across campus. DIEO has also been working alongside ResEd, ResLife and USF Athletics to increase the survey response rate.

A 30-person committee working under the direction of Title IX Coordinator Cecil Howard put the survey together. The committee was composed of cohorts from various departments across campus, including faculty, administrators, staff and students.

Howard could not be reached for comment by the time of publication.

Senior Deputy Title IX Coordinator Araina Muniz said she hopes that at least 25 percent of the student body participates in the survey. 

She said the survey was sent purposely at the end of the semester in order to provide feedback to the future leaders of the institution. 

Specifically, the USF system president. 

“We want to set up the stage for the new president and leave a legacy for the current president,” Muniz said.

Steve Currall will succeed President Judy Genshaft on July 1 and Britney Deas will succeed Student Body President Moneer Kheireddine at the end of spring semester.

Presidential advisory committees will be involved with analysis of the results, including one that will help to set up and analyze data, according to Muniz. 

Muniz said once the data is analyzed, DIEO will be able to determine where to focus its energies more to better suit students. 

Muniz said the information will be put to good use and action will be taken soon after. 

“It is valuable that we get this information from students,” Muniz said. “Responses are critical.”