We must put an end to violence perpetrated by the Hollywood elite

By Jesse Stokes, EDITOR IN CHIEF
On January 30, 2019

R. Kelly has been accused of committing some heinous acts, but he is hardly Hollywood’s only wrongdoer. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

With the recent Lifetime documentary series, “Surviving R. Kelly,” one thing has been made perfectly clear: Violence and abuse within what is perhaps the world’s most fantasized industry is a real issue.

Though many of the people included in the documentary are accusers, whose claims have not yet been proven in the judicial system, where there is smoke, there is fire. It is unlikely so many women, children and parents making similar claims about one man can all be false.

But the buck doesn’t stop with Robert.

#MuteRKelly is an important cause, and one with merit, but R. Kelly is not the only musician or actor who needs to be shut off.

Rihanna has become the center of many jokes surrounding violence after her then-boyfriend and fellow-singer Chris Brown physically abused her in a moving vehicle. Now, ten years later, it seems the world and music industry have forgiven Brown and his fans are looking forward to the release of his new music this year.

Brown deserves to be permanently muted too.

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. was arrested on domestic violence charges in 2010. He has also been charged with battery and harassment. But that did not stop viewers from purchasing $100 pay-per-views that he headlined before his retirement in 2017.

Actor Christian Bale seems to have a problem keeping his hands to himself as well.

In 2008, the former “Batman” star was arrested for allegedly assaulting his mother and sister in a hotel. This did not stop Warner Bros. from casting him in future “Batman” films, nor did it stop fans from seeing the movies and putting posters of him on their walls.

When is enough enough?

When will violence and abuse stop being accepted and dismissed based on how famous a person is?

When will accountability set in for those hateful enough to commit these crimes?

The time is now.

The longer society is forgiving of abusive egomaniacs who use their power and celebrity to perpetuate violence, the longer such heinous acts will persist. It is time that we, as consumers, mute, change the channel and pull the plug on abusive and maniacal celebrities and stop lining their pockets.

Jesse Stokes is a junior majoring in political science.