OPINION: USF vs. Temple final takeaways

Ronnie Hoggins returns an interception midway through the third quarter in USF's fourth consecutive loss this season. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS

PHILADELPHIA — USF football lost to Temple 27-17 on Saturday at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

The Bulls took a 17-0 lead into the halftime break and were, quite honestly, the better team in the first half. However, the second half was a completely different story.

Yikes.

A 17-point lead at halftime is anything but a sure win, but with how hapless Temple looked during the first half, it felt like a score or two more would put the game out of reach.

Instead, the complete opposite happened.

Temple came back and scored 27 unanswered points, while USF scored zero of its own.

This is the second week in a row the Bulls looked like the better team in the first half only to sleepwalk through the second half and cough up a chance at an upset.

Injury Update

Prior to the game, quarterback Blake Barnett’s status was not known after missing last week’s game at Cincinnati and being limited in practice in the week leading up to the Temple game.

Barnett played, as did running back Duran Bell Jr., who had been out since the game against Georgia Tech on Sept. 8.

A healthy Barnett and Bell certainly helped carry USF into the halftime break with the lead. It’s a shame it wasn’t enough, though.

Cronkrite’s 1,000-yard season

With his 49-yard rush during USF’s first drive of the game, running back Jordan Cronkrite becomes the fifth Bull to rush for 1,000 yards in program history.

Cronkrite has had an amazing year in his first season in green and gold since transfering from the Gators, so it’s great to see him get rewarded with a permanent spot in the record books.

Will the next game be a Freaky Friday?

Does USF have a prayer next week against No. 11 UCF?

After not playing a complete game all season, the Bulls welcome in their intrastate rivals to Raymond James Stadium fresh off hosting College Gameday and all the national attention that comes with that.

The game with the Knights looked scary prior to Saturday’s game already, but after being unable to seal the deal with Temple, how likely is it USF can pull off the miracle upset on Friday?

Anything is possible, but Friday might not be a fun day for Bulls fans.