Search committee looking for community input in finding Genshaft’s replacement

By Alyssa Stewart, NEWS EDITOR
On November 14, 2018

President Judy Genshaft will step away from her role in July, after serving in it for nearly two decades. ORACLE PHOTO/LEDA ALVIM

Upon President Judy Genshaft leaving behind her 18-year legacy, USF is asking the community for input to fill her shoes.

Genshaft announced that she will be stepping down for retirement effective July 1, 2019.

USF is conducting a community input survey to provide insight for selecting the next system president, who will serve as only the seventh person to fill the role.

The Presidential Search Committee will discuss the results and may finalize the position profile during their meeting on Nov. 29, according to University Spokesperson Adam Freeman.

Freeman said the survey is being conducted electronically and the responses have not been compiled yet.

The survey is being shared on Facebook and Twitter and reads, “USF is committed to a transparent and inclusive search for its next president, and your perspective is important.”

It includes preferred candidate characteristics and opportunities to discuss the USF community, whether it be challenges or highlights.

Community members also have the opportunity to share general comments to the search committee.

The search committee consists of 15 members including Chairman Les Muma, three trustees, a member of the Florida Board of Governors (BOG) and Student Body Vice President Shaquille Kent. Furthermore, members of the committee will be from USF’s three campuses — Tampa, St. Pete and Sarasota-Manatee.

The search committee follows the guidelines established by the BOG.

Board of Trustees (BOT) Chairman Brian Lamb said the search committee intends to recommend a set of candidates to the BOT in early 2019, then present final candidates in the spring of 2019. The Presidential Search Committee website states that a final candidate should be selected by the Board of Trustees by their March 5 meeting and submitted to BOG for ratification by the March 28 meeting.

The results are being used to accumulate community input and to inform the presidential search committee, according to its website.

“The survey is being used to help the search committee/search firm develop the position profile and job description before advertising and recruiting for the new president begins,” Freeman said in an email to The Oracle.