Biden to join Gillum for on-campus campaign event Monday

By Jesse Stokes, EDITOR IN CHIEF
On October 21, 2018

ORACLE PHOTO/CHAVELI GUZMAN

Andrew Gillum (D), a candidate for governor of Florida, is hosting a “get-out-and-vote” rally Monday at noon with former Vice President Joe Biden at USF’s Campus Recreation.

Students may attend the rally for free, space permitting. Doors will open at 10 a.m. and the event will start at 10:30 a.m.

This will be the first time any gubernatorial candidate has been to USF to campaign since the primary elections in 2017.

Gillum first campaigned on campus in August of last year before he secured the Democratic nomination for governor in August.

He will be joined by Biden to address the importance of young people, specifically college-aged students, voting. Other democratic candidates for office are accompanying them as well, including Sean Shaw, who is running for attorney general and incumbents Sen. Bill Nelson and Rep. Charlie Crist.

Some of the key issues that Gillum is running on include, criminal justice reform, gun safety and LGBTQ+ equality.

The team for Gillum’s opponent, Ron DeSantis (R), could not be reached for comment by the time of publication on if there are any plans for DeSantis to visit USF.

Gillum began his political career serving as student body president for Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU) from 2001-02. He then became the first student to sit on the FAMU Board of Trustees.

The now 39-year-old Miami native was the youngest candidate elected to the Tallahassee City Commission in 2003.

After 10 years as the city commissioner, Gillum ran for mayor of Tallahassee in April 2013. He won the race with nearly 20,000 votes, totaling about 76 percent.