USF men’s soccer will travel to take on defending conference champion SMU

USF men's soccer (4-5-1, 1-0-1) will travel this weekend to take on SMU (5-4-1, 1-1-0) on Saturday night in Dallas.

The Bulls are riding a two-game win streak and are hoping to execute their game plan against SMU to keep that streak going.

“I think we will be prepared, we had a good week of training,” coach Bob Butehorn said. “We will compete as hard as we can and would love to get a result.”

Last season, USF was able to tie SMU at home, but this year will be a different experience for the team as they have to travel on the road for this match-up.

“We are on the road, so it will be a little different,” Butehorn said. “I think I only have one guy that has ever been to SMU and played. It will be a new experience for our guys, hopefully we can get a result.”

SMU won the AAC championship last year and had a lot of veteran players on their roster who aren’t on the roster this time around. However, there are a few players that the USF head coach feels they need to watch out for.

“The kid up top, [Garrett] McLaughlin, is good and they have a kid at midfield, [Emil] Cuello, who is quite good,” Butehorn said. “I think there is a couple pieces they have that are good, the center back number 24 [Maples] is pretty good. He is young, but he has done well for them.”

The Bulls feel they have prepared themselves fully, even though this will be a new experience for most of the team. With a week of preparation, along with a different look to SMU this year, they are confident going forward in to Thursday nights game.

“Kevin [Hudson] is a good coach, and he has a lot of passion for the university,” Butehorn said. “I think he has a good team, but maybe not at the same caliber as last year. I think we will be prepared, we had a good week of training, and we will go to execute our game plan the best we can. We will compete as hard as we can and would love to get a result.”