Computer Service Center now offers free repairs following IT takeover

By Maria Ranoni, NEWS EDITOR
On September 11, 2018

According to Eric Pergola, the associate director of Desktop Engineering and Operations of IT, the quality of services that were previously provided from the Computer Service Center in the Library will not change, despite them now being free. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

The Computer Service Center in the Library will no longer charge students, faculty or staff for services such as repairs and virus removals.

Following the Computer Store in the Marshall Student Center closing came the news that the Service Center in the Library would be taken over by USF IT.

According to Eric Pergola, the associate director of Desktop Engineering and Operations of IT, even with a change in management, the services previously offered by the Service Center will not change.

“We wanted to make sure that there was no degradation of service to the USF faculty, staff and students,” Pergola said. “So what we’re actually going to be doing, is, we’re going to be continuing with the service levels we’ve had before, except we will not be charging for any of the services.”

Pergola said that when it comes to repairs, the Service Center will do diagnostics on computers to determine what parts must be replaced and will provide advice on how and where to buy those parts. The student or staff member can then bring the parts into the Service Center and it will replace them at no charge.

According to its website, the Computer Service Center offers a variety of services, with prices previously ranging from $45 to over $100.

“This was implemented on Aug. 6,” Pergola said. “The biggest thing to note is that what we are trying to do this for the betterment of USF, the students, the faculty, the staff. Instead of worrying about charging for it, we rather the service be there for those people who need it.”

Additional reporting by Jessenia Rivera