New assistant baseball coach will work with catchers

ORACLE PHOTO/THOMAS PRETTYMAN

USF baseball announced that volunteer assistant coach Brian Jeroloman has been added to its staff, with an emphasis on catchers. He joins the Bulls after one season at St. John’s River State College, where he was the hitting and catching coach.

During his time there, his team posted 333 runs, 57 home runs and had a batting average of .301.

According to team websites, only two other programs in the AAC have catching coaches — Cincinnati and Memphis.

The Bulls finished first in their conference with a .297 collective batting average for the 2018 season. Cincinnati and Memphis were at the bottom with .256 and .237, respectively.

During his collegiate career, Jeroloman was the starting catcher at the University of Florida for his freshman, sophomore and junior years (2004-2006). The Gators were the runner-up in the NCAA College World Series in Jeroloman’s sophomore year.

Jeroloman was drafted in the sixth round of the 2006 MLB Draft by the Toronto Blue Jays and played in the minors for five years. After being called up to the majors in 2011, he played one year with the Blue Jays.

Afterward, he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Cleveland Indians and Washington Nationals before ending his professional career in 2017.

Jeroloman joins his brother, Chuck Jeroloman, who is already a member of the Bulls' baseball staff. Chuck is the recruiting coordinator and also assists with infielders, catchers and hitters.

While USF is adding a hitting and catchers coach, it currently has no pitching coach. Mohl filled this position for three years before he was named head coach on June 30, 2017, after former head coach Mark Kingston left for the same job at the University of South Carolina.

The Bulls wrapped up the 2018 season with an average 3.87 ERA and 10 strikeouts per nine innings where Mohl doubled as a pitching and head coach.

USF will go into the 2019 season ranked No. 29 nationally. After having made it to the semifinals of their conference tournament last season, Mohl said he is excited to have another coaching asset.  

“Looking forward to working with (Jeroloman),” he said.