USF volleyball starts season undefeated

USF has started 2018 with three straight wins.
SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

USF women’s volleyball (3-0) started its season on a high note with victories against San Jose State, Jacksonville and Stony Brook at the USF Invitational Tournament last weekend.

At the same tournament last year, the Bulls were in a far different position, starting their season with two losses.

“It was certainly fun,” coach Courtney Draper said. “Definitely a great balance of being challenged and having success against quality teams, one of which was an NCAA tournament team from last year. It was a complete effort all weekend and an excellent atmosphere with the fans over the last two days.”

Bulls newcomers CC Clausen and Jac’cara Walker were named to the AAC weekly honor roll. Walker had 43 kills over the weekend.

“She (Walker) took note of our game plan going in and she executed beautifully,” Draper said. “She knows how to put the ball where the other team is not and on the defensive side, she puts herself in excellent position to make plays.”

Walker went on to be named the tournament MVP.

Draper, Walker and the Bulls travel to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, this weekend to play matches against LSU, Duke and Texas A&M Corpus Christi.

“Knowing that we can battle through and overcome the ups and downs of a match was key for us this weekend,” Draper said. “We have a huge test next weekend in an SEC team and a team from the ACC.”

Women’s soccer overcomes Baylor, earns spot in this week's rankings

After a nearly two-hour rain delay, No. 24 USF (2-1) was able to jump ahead of No. 17 Baylor (3-1) with two goals in the first half.

The Bulls went on win the game against the then-ranked Bears 3-1, which earned them a spot in the TopDrawer top-25 ranking.

“They’re (Baylor) just a really big, strong team,” USF coach Denise Schilte-Brown said. “I was just really proud of how we managed their athleticism and then kept the ball and played.”

A key factor for each of the Bulls' goals was junior Evelyne Viens. She had two assists and scored the third goal.

Viens’ effort earned her the AAC’s offensive player of the week. Another Bull honored was freshman Sydney Martinez, who was named goalkeeper of the week.

Martinez totaled six saves, a career high.

USF hosts Detroit Mercy at Corbett Stadium on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Men’s soccer unsuccessful in Michigan trip

USF (0-2) finished its weekend trip to Michigan with a 2-0 loss to Michigan (1-1).

The Bulls also dropped their opening game against No. 11 Michigan State 1-0 when the Spartans scored a goal in the 86th minute of Friday’s game.

USF returns home without a win and will host Virginia Tech at Corbett Stadium on Friday at 7 p.m.