Men's golf one disaster-free round away from winning AAC Championship

By Josh Fiallo, Sports Editor
On April 24, 2018

No. 21 USF men’s golf is one day away from claiming a four-peat in the AAC Tournament, pending a final-round collapse.

Playing in Palm Harbor at Innisbrook Resort & Golf Club's Copperhead Course, USF extended its lead Monday to 19 strokes. The Bulls are currently shooting five-under par, with second-place SMU shooting plus-14 and third-place UCF shooting plus-17.

"They played incredible today,” coach Steve Bradley said. “Around holes eight to 12, we really got some momentum going and played that back side really well. For us to have a nice lead going into the final round is encouraging for sure."

USF has led in each of the last 11 rounds at the conference championship after registering wire-to-wire wins the past three seasons at the event. The Bulls will play their final round Tuesday at 8:55 a.m. Live scoring updates from the tournament can be found here.

In addition to being the overwhelming favorites to win the tournament as a team, USF has three golfers in contention for the individual title.

Individually, USF’s Claudio Correa leads the field with a score of four-under par. USF’s Cristian DiMarco currently sits in second place with a score of two-under par and Jimmy Jones, another Bull, is currently in fourth place with a score of one-under par.

"I think that's what has made us so good this year — they've all pushed each other to be better, and at the same time, it's made our team a lot better,” Bradley said of Correa, DiMarco and Jones. “I'm looking forward to tomorrow, not only to see how we handle a lead, but also how they handle getting a chance to win a conference championship individually. It's not just going to be the three of them. There's a couple of guys in this field that can go out and win it, too."