David Collins named to AAC's all-rookie team

By Josh Fiallo, Sports Editor
On March 6, 2018

David Collins scored a game-high 21 points in the Bulls' last regular-season game, a 65-54 win over SMU on Sunday. ORACLE PHOTO/CHAVELI GUZMAN

USF freshman guard David Collins was named to the AAC’s all-rookie team Monday, the conference announced.

The honor comes after Collins scored in double digits in eight of the Bulls’ last nine games, including a game-high 21 points in the Bulls’ regular season finale win over SMU on Sunday.

"I'd be hard pressed to say he's not the rookie of the year," coach Brian Gregory said. "You look at statistical analysis, he's had as good of a freshman year as anyone in the league and statistically probably better.”

Since conference play began Dec. 28, Collins has averaged 11.3 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.2 steals per game. The scoring is good enough for second on the team, while he’s currently tied for the most steals and assists on the team.

Outside of USF, Collins’ field-goal percentage of 47.3 percent (61-for-129) is the fourth best in the AAC among all players. He only trails ECU freshman Shawn Williams in scoring among freshmen and he leads AAC rookies in steals and assists.

“I think he's second in scoring, first in assists, first in steals,” Gregory said. “He's had as good of a year as any freshman around, and he's had as big of an impact as any freshman."

Collins will have a chance to maintain his high level of play Thursday in the AAC Tournament in Orlando. The No. 12 Bulls are scheduled to face No. 5 Memphis at 2 p.m. The game will be aired on ESPNU.