USFSP rebuilding top administration

By Miki Shine, EDITOR IN CHIEF
On November 8, 2017

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

USF St. Petersburg (USFSP) is still putting things together after former regional chancellor Sophia Wisniewska was forced out for “lack of leadership” during Hurricane Irma.

The position has been filled on an interim basis by former regional vice chancellor of academic affairs Martin Tadlock, and his position has been left open.

Now Olufunke A. Fontenot, a criminal justice professor, has been named as the new interim regional vice chancellor of academic affairs at USF St. Petersburg. She will start on Dec. 1.

Fontenot has experience in administration at Albany State University in Georgia, where she was associate provost. According to the Tampa Bay Times, Tadlock said Fontenot’s on loan from Georgia State College and University where she’s worked both in the classroom and as an administrator since 2002.

Meanwhile, Tadlock started at USFSP in 2016. Prior to that he served as provost and vice president for academic and student affairs at Bemidji State University and Northwest Technical college in northern Minnesota. 

Tampa PD investigating car break-ins

On Sunday afternoon, a total of 30 cars were broken into with the majority being near campus with thousands of dollars in personal items stolen.

Eight cars at Hula Bay in downtown Tampa were broken into around 1 p.m., with the 22 others being at Lodge apartments near campus, according to WFLA. Tampa PD suspect the two incidents are related

While police investigate, the department advises not to leave valuables in plain sight, particularly with the holiday season coming up.

CAM gearing up for new exhibit

Local pop artist James Rosenquist, who passed away earlier this year, will be getting his own exhibit at the Contemporary Art Museum (CAM) on campus. 

The exhibit will largely include work and prints he created during his time working at USF’s Graphicstudio, which started in 1971. Prior to working at USF, he had a studio in Pasco-Hernando county border and he’d had shows in the Guggenheim and the Museum of Modern Art in New York. His work’s force ranges from economical and romantic to scientific and existential. The exhibit opens Monday and is free for students.

New fund offers scholarships to veterans

A fund made up of contributions from families and friends of fallen veterans has collected $40,000. The money will go toward awards, scholarships and other support to veterans at USF.

Other support includes instances such as that of the first recipient John Jacoby, a freshman majoring in engineering. He lost his home in a fire during the aftermath of Hurricane Irma. The Next Greatest Generation Veteran Fund is currently offering him and his family relief.