Scheduling Planner is available for students

Scheduling Planner aims to simplify the course registration process. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

USF Tampa introduced the Schedule Planner into its Oasis system to simplify registration. It helps students register in a timely manner with enough credit hours, as well as balance work schedules or other commitments. By being incorporated into Oasis, the students can easily select the courses wanted and the planner shows all the potential schedules with the click of a button. 

The Schedule Planner is an online resource in Oasis, under “Registration”, used to facilitate the process of registering for classes. The students add the classes they wish to take, the available times they can study and it immediately generates a variety of schedules on a weekly agenda. It was previously introduced to USF St. Petersburg’s students, and based on anecdotal feedback from students, advisors, and faculty, university decision-makers decided that everyone could benefit from using it, according to Irvin.                

“Anything that is helping the students is helping us, so that’s always our priority,” Melissa Irvin, Assistant Dean for Advising and Analytics, said.

Irvin said the Scheduling Planner gives students a way to make sure USF is meeting demands according to students’ choices and preferred courses.  

“Not only does it make it easier to ensure you can take enough credit hours, but if you work every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon from 1 o’clock to 5 o’clock or have other commitments on campus,” Irvin said. “You can block out those times in your schedule and work your schedule around that just with the click of a button.”

It created an additional resource since advisors are now able to give students different scheduling options, instead of only giving required classes and students worrying about full classes or time conflicts. 

The email announcing this new integration was sent to the students on Oct. 12, perhaps because of this most USF Tampa students are unaware of it. 

“It hasn’t been long enough to get people to really get used to it and we haven’t been through for the first kind of registration to say,” Irvin said. “A lot of people need to register for the spring semester to see how it works. We’ll be able to get more feedback.” 

However, Jaden Angel, a freshman majoring in biomedical science, has used the scheduling planner. 

“I hate having to make my own schedule,” Angel said. “I saw my friend do it (use the Scheduling Planner), and it looked really easy when she did it, so I’m excited to do it for myself.” 

Saraah Eoonous, a sophomore majoring in cellular and molecular biology, said the idea of the Schedule Planner seems nice and more convenient for students.

“Honestly, from what I’ve heard of it, it sounds a lot more convenient,” Eoonous said. “For me, I hate taking early classes. I can get up past 9 o’clock, so it’s really nice to see everything laid out so you don’t end up taking three classes in a row, which is horrible.” 

Furthermore, Savannah Eldredge, a freshman majoring in graphic design, said the Scheduling Planner seems like a more efficient registration process.

“I read the email about it that they sent,” Eldredge said. “It seems pretty useful. A lot of classes I’ve been trying to get for the next semester have schedule conflicts with each other, so having something that will show me those immediately should save me some time.”

Overall, students have been reacting with optimism, but if the reaction shifts negatively by next semester, Irvin said to make the changes needed for an easier process. 

“We’ll be able to get more feedback, and the great thing about technology is that we can continue to find ways to improve it,” Irvin said.