Women’s March organizers come to campus

By Miki Shine, Editor in Chief
On October 11, 2017

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Three of the organizers of the Women’s March will be speaking in the Marshall Student Center Oval Theater tonight at 7 p.m.

Women’s March Co-President Tamika Mallory, Treasurer Carmen Perez and Assistant Treasurer Linda Sarsour are being brought to campus by the student organization USF Divest.

Mallory has been a leading figure in the grassroots effort to stop gun violence in New York City and was applauded as “a leader of tomorrow” by Valerie B. Jarrett, Senior Advisor to former President Barack Obama. However, she’s most commonly recognized as an organizer of the Women’s March on Washington D.C. that took place in January.

Perez worked largely dealing with incarceration and violence before joining the Women’s March. She focused primarily on juvenile detention centers and prisons in California and New York providing cultural, spiritual and educational events. Additionally, she worked on advancing juvenile and criminal justice reform across the countries, and has traveled the globe building alternatives to incarceration.

Sarsour organized a campaign to get New York public schools to close in observance of two Islamic holy days. She helped organize the 2015 March2Justice that had almost 100 marchers make their way through five states from Staten Island, NY to Washington D.C. Most of her work is directed toward building intersectionality between movements. She is also vocal in supporting the boycott, divest and sanctions movement against Israel as a proud Palestinian.

Joining the women is David Caicedo, State Director for Florida Student Power Network, who is actively campaigning to allow former inmates – convicted of non-violent offenses – the right to vote in Florida.