Notebook: USF has winning weekend across the board

By Josh Fiallo, Sports Editor
On October 1, 2017

Evelyne Viens (above) scoring a goal against Tulsa on Sunday. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS

It was a winning weekend for USF across the board.

Men’s soccer and football played simultaneously at noon Saturday, with the football team defeating East Carolina 61-31 and men’s soccer defeating Cincinnati 5-2.

The women’s teams followed suit Sunday, with women’s soccer shutting out Tulsa 3-0 and the volleyball team taking down Memphis in five sets.

Even men’s golf, which started, but hasn’t finished a tournament, started the Marquette Intercollegiate strong.

Here’s how it went down:

Football: USF 61, ECU 31

USF running back D’Ernest Johnson rushed for two touchdowns, recorded his third consecutive game with 100-plus rushing yards and helped the Bulls set a new program record for points scored in a road game.

In addition to Johnson’s two touchdowns, five other Bulls scored, including Flowers who rushed for a touchdown and threw two more.

On the defensive side of the ball, USF picked off two passes and brought their season total to a nation-leading 14.

USF will have a bye-week this week and will play Cincinnati (2-3) on Oct. 14 in Raymond James.

Men’s Soccer: Cincinnati 2, USF 5

USF extended their undefeated streak at home to five games after they beat Cincinnati 5-2 at Corbett Stadium on Saturday.

It was the second time in 2017 the Bulls scored five goals in a game, a feat that hadn’t been accomplished since 2007, but has been done twice this season as USF beat UNF 5-1 in September.

Against the Bearcats, three first-year Bulls found the back of the net, including freshman forward Adrian Billhardt who scored two goals.

After the win, the Bulls (5-3-1, 2-0-0) now sit atop the AAC tied with UConn (5-2-2, 2-0-0) who the Bulls face next Friday.

Women’s Soccer: Tulsa 0, 

USF 3

Playing in their annual pink out game, the Bulls outshot and overpowered Tulsa on Sunday afternoon in Corbett Stadium, defeating the Golden Hurricanes 3-0.

Sophomore forward, Evelyne Viens, started the scoring less than two minutes into the game. After an own goal in the first half, freshman forward Leah Ferlin closed the games scoring with a goal from outside the box in the games 70th minute.

USF (7-3-0, 3-1-0) will travel to face SMU (5-3-3) next Thursday before returning home to face Houston (5-4-1, 1-1-0) on Sunday.

Volleyball: Memphis 2, 

USF 3

USF beat Memphis in five sets Saturday afternoon in dramatic fashion for its first conference win of the season.

After winning the first two sets 26-24 and 25-18, the Bulls dropped their next two to the Tigers, forcing a fifth set.

In the fifth set, which is played to 15, the score was tied at 12 apiece. Then, a kill from Joli Holland and an ace from Maria McLamb gave the Bulls their match point. Holland then ended the match with the final kill from the middle.

USF (6-8, 1-3) will start a weekend road trip Friday at SMU (10-5, 4-0) and continue at Tulsa (7-9, 1-3) on Sunday.

Men’s golf: in progress

After winning its first tournament of the season in September, USF is in first place at its second tournament, the Marquette Intercollegiate at Erin Hills, after one day.

Led by Cristian Dimarco and Claudio Correa, who are both in the tournaments top-five individually, the Bulls have a two-stroke lead over second place Marquette, the host school.

In a field of 15 teams, the Bulls led the pack with 18 birdies Sunday and will have to hang on to their lead for two more rounds in as many days to win their second consecutive tournament to start the 2017-18 season.