Farmers market comes to USF

By Jessica Garby, CORRESPONDENT
On August 28, 2017

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Fresh produce and other goods will be available to USF students, staff and community members at the Greens & Gold Fresh Market beginning Thursday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the Marshall Student Center (MSC) lawn.

The Greens & Gold Fresh Market will feature all-natural produce, crafts and healthy prepackaged foods.

The Tampa Bay Markets is partnering with the Center for Student Well-Being and Dining Services to organize the market, which will include approximately 30 different vendors ranging from local honey to arts and crafts.

Jennifer DiPrete, the director of the Center for Student Well-Being said the goal of the market is to “accurately reflect the needs of the USF community.”

It is difficult for some students to find fresh produce. With a walk to the MSC lawn, all students will have full accessibility to local, fresh produce.

DiPrete said the Greens & Gold Fresh Market will be the first of its kind on USF’s campus.  The Green & Gold Fresh Market will be a transition to a more green way of living.

“The mission is to increase access to healthy produce and products for students” Laurie Schrider, a Health Learning Facilitator in the Center for Student Well-Being said.

Produce and goods will be available to purchase with cash or card. Bull Bucks will not be accepted by vendors.

DiPrete said there is a “need for increasing produce consumption, but we want to build something different from what the campus community would normally see on a daily basis.”

Other than fresh fruits and vegetables, there will also be dairy, eggs and cheese from a local farm. Arts and crafts and candles will be available for purchase, with music provided by Bulls Radio.

For students just passing by the market, grab-and-go salads, fruits and prepared foods will be available by USF Dining Services, according to DiPrete.
The market will be active every Thursday from Aug. 31 until Nov. 2 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.