Backpacking through Asia with the Asian Students in America organization

ORACLE PHOTO/CHAVELI GUZMAN

As part of Week of Welcome, students had the opportunity to learn about different Asian cultures.

The Asian Students in America event allowed attendees to explore different countries at its Backpacking Through Asia event.

Asian Students in America is one of many multicultural organizations on campus. This organization focuses on promoting cultural and Asian awareness in a casual environment where both Asian and non-Asian students can socialize with one another.

While visiting tables featuring different countries such as Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam and China, students had an exclusive look into the organization and enjoyed free pizza and prizes, such as t-shirts, tumblers and stickers.

Originally scheduled to be located in front of the MLK Stage Fountain, the Florida heat many both despise and love caused the organization to shift its event to a cooler location in the underpass of the SVC building.

Emily Robinson, a member of the organization, expressed pure enthusiasm at the event’s turnout and optimism for future occasions.

“We had about 140 people come and we expected 100,” Robinson said. “We got a lot of new freshman interested, hopefully they will come out to our next event, next week.”