First 50 Days ushers in summer

Summer Yard Show to celebrate diversity

By Jacqueline Miller, Correspondent
On June 28, 2017

Greek Life is one of the organizations contributing events to the First 50 Days program.
ORACLE PHOTO/MIKI SHINE

The Summer Yard Show is a multicultural event that displays dance, diversity and education as part of USF’s First 50 Days program.

“It will showcase our 24 culturally based and traditionally African-American fraternities and sororities,” said Viancca Williams, assistant director of The Center for Student Involvement and Fraternity and Sorority Life.

The event on July 6 begins with a meet and greet at 4:30 p.m. and will continue until 6 p.m. The lineup is yet to be finalized.

“If you look up USF Fraternity and Sorority life on Facebook, you’ll be able to get information there,” Williams said. “It’s a great opportunity for people to be entertained and understand the traditions that are associated with these organizations.

“So, it’s essentially open to anybody because it provides an opportunity for people to learn history and be excited about these organizations.”

The turnout in previous years was between 250 and 300 people. A similar turnout is expected this year.

“Every year, new students join fraternities and sororities,” Williams said. “What that does, is that it provides new opportunities for new people to come to the table and just represent their organizations in general.”

During First 50 Days, there will be other events and opportunities for students to participate in different aspects of campus life. Keri Riegler, director of New Student Connections, said there are many multicultural events included in First 50 Days this year such as weekly student socials that connect cultural and minority populations.

“I think from the event series perspective we’re excited to have the diverse offerings of events this year that are in there and the yard show is one of those,” Riegler said. “So, Glow in the Park happens on July 7 and we have the Summer Splash Bash.”

For now, student organizations are focusing and preparing for the upcoming Summer Yard Show. 

“It’s a fun event,” Williams said. “You have an opportunity to truly see the talent that the organizations have to showcase, but then you get to learn so much about the history and why they advocate on behalf of the issues that they advocate for, but then also what makes those organizations just truly special and just really cool.”