Former Bulls to play in 'The Basketball Tournament'

By Josh Fiallo, Sports Editor
On June 7, 2017

Anthony Collins, Toralyn Fitzpatrick and Hugh Robertson playing for the Bulls in 2013. Four years later, all three will play for the Tampa Bulls. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

USF basketball alumni are convening for a shot at $2 million.

On Tuesday, a group of former Bulls basketball standouts, known as the Tampa Bulls, were selected as an at-large bid in the South region of The Basketball Tournament. It is a five-on-five, 64-team, winner-takes-all tournament that’s in its fourth year.

All the tournament games will be aired on an ESPN platform. The “Super Sixteen” semifinals and finals will be on ESPN and ESPN2.

The Tampa Bulls’ roster consists of 10 USF players. They will collect a salary of $135,000 apiece, although William McDonald and Dominique Jones will each receive $200,000, if the team wins the tournament.

Michael Brown, a USF alumnus and former assistant coach under coaches Stan Heath and Orlando Antigua, is the team’s GM and coach. Anthony Brammer, the current head basketball coach at Lecanto High School, will also coach the Bulls.

The buy-in is $5,000 per team and at least $1,000 per player, depending on when the player becomes a member. Free agents can join the team at any point of the tournament as long as the team doesn’t exceed the 15-player roster limit.

In each of the four regions – South, Northeast, Midwest and West – nine teams were selected based on the number of “fan votes” they received online. Six teams were chosen as at-large bids and one team from a play-in Jamboree.

Two-time defending champ, Overseas Elite, belongs to the South region along with the Bulls. They have an “experience level” of 75, just 6 points higher than the Tampa Bulls’ rating of 69, according to The Tournament’s website.

The Bulls first game will be on July 8 at Queens University in Charlotte, North Carolina. An opponent has not yet been named.