Softball swept to begin AAC play

By Jacob Hoag, Editor in Chief
On March 26, 2017

USF softball is 3-7 over its past 10 games after getting swept by Tulsa this weekend. 
ORACLE FILE  PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

The USF softball team opened conference play with a thud this past weekend, as it was outscored 17-3 in a three-game sweep at the hands of Tulsa.

USF (20-18), who was shut out twice during the series, managed just two hits in a 5-0 loss Sunday at the USF Softball Stadium.

Tulsa’s Lexi Blevins pitched the complete game shutout, fanning four while allowing no walks and two hits.

The Golden Hurricane opened the scoring in the second inning with RBI hits from sophomores Haley Meinen and Julia Hollingsworth, giving Tulsa an early 2-0 lead.

Tulsa (23-10) would score three more in the fourth inning, enabled by fielding and throwing errors by USF.

USF has now lost six of its last seven games. It looks to rebound in its series against UConn in Storrs, Connecticut, beginning Friday.

Wagers named men’s basketball assistant

Newly hired men’s basketball coach Brian Gregory’s main talking point in Wednesday’s induction was in-state 

recruiting.

On Saturday, Gregory added someone to his staff who may help him achieve that goal in Scott Wagers.

Wagers spent the past three years as an assistant at Jacksonville University (2014-17), helping the Dolphins post back-to-back winning seasons.

Wagers also spent five years as the head coach at Robinson High School in Tampa (1994-99), leading the Knights to four district and two regional titles. Wagers was also named Tampa Bay Basketball Coaches’ Association Coach of the Year in 1997-98.

“Scott brings instant credibility to our recruiting philosophy within the Bay area and the entire state,” Gregory said in a release. “He has proven the ability to build tremendous relationships, is a fantastic teacher and has experienced the rebuild process at the high school and collegiate level.”

Wagers got his collegiate coaching start at East Tennessee State where he helped lead the program to six postseason berths, including four NCAA Tournament appearances, and five regular season conference titles. 

Women’s tennis earns first conference win

While celebrating senior night at the USF Varsiy Tennis Complex, the USF women’s tennis team secured its first conference win of the season 6-1 over Temple.

After USF secured the doubles point, Vanja Klaric scored first with a pair of 6-1 wins. USF’s Nicole Dzenga finished off the owls winning 6-3,6-2 over Temple’s Dina Karina.

Next up for the Bulls is a three-game road trip to Texas to face Rice, Marshall and Houston on April 7-9.