USF knocks off No. 5 FSU with dramatic finish

Sophomore pitcher Andrew Perez set the Noles' down in order in the ninth inning to seal a 4-2 win over No. 5 FSU on Tuesday night. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

USF entered Tuesday evening’s matchup against No. 5 Florida State having lost against the Seminoles 15 consecutive times since 1989.

That all changed thanks to a dramatic four-run ninth inning for the Bulls in their come-from-behind 4-2 win at Dick Howser Stadium.

Led by starting pitcher Andrew Karp, who retired 18 straight Bulls at one point, the Seminoles cruised through most of the game without any difficulty.

Though Karp held USF (3-1) off the scoreboard, his bullpen wasn’t nearly as efficient. Aided by four walks and a passed ball in the top of the ninth, the Bulls pieced together a four-run rally to jump out in front.

USF sophomore closer Andrew Perez then sent the Seminoles down in order in the bottom of the ninth to clinch the win.

Starting pitcher Ryan Valdes was only used for three innings, holding the Seminoles to just one hit, but allowed both of their runs. Following Valdes’ departure, three consecutive freshmen relievers held FSU in check.

Freshmen Noah Yager, Carson Ragsdale, and Collin Sullivan combined to throw four innings of middle relief in which they allowed no baserunners and each struck out two batters.

USF returns home for a 17-game homestand, beginning with a four-game series against Miami of Ohio this weekend at the USF Baseball Stadium.