SG presidential candidates prepare for first debate
The two Student Government presidential nominees will go head-to-head this evening in an attempt to gain voters’ attention in their first debate of the campaign.
Doors to the Marshall Student Center Ballroom open at 6 p.m. and the candidates are allowed to campaign among the crowd. Promptly at 7 p.m., presidential candidates Moneer Kheireddine and Ryan Soscia will participate in the hour-long debate.
This year, guidelines have been moderately changed. Rather than taking questions from student submissions, the Election Rules Commission (ERC) supervisor created questions with the goal of having more accurate relevancy to the candidate’s respective campaigns than in the past, according to Jennifer Bielen, assistant director of government advising, training and operations.
David Payne, associate professor and interim chair of the communications department, will be moderating and reviewed the list of questions suggested by the ERC before picking 10-15 for the debate.
Topics will range from academics to university-scale subjects, according to Bielen.
Wednesday, the joint Presidential and Vice Presidential Ticket Debate will feature a similar format — except campaigning before the event will not be permitted, and it will be moderated by former Student Body President, Brian Goff, and Vice President George Papadeas.
“We highly encourage students outside of the staff campaign to attend,” Bielen said. “This allows undecided voters (to) make a sound judgment on who to vote for.”
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More usforacle News Articles
Recent usforacle News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR USFORACLE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST USFORACLE NEWS
- Author Yaa Gyasi shares her method of writing
- St. Pete Police looking for men alleged to have punched USF student
- USF hosts third annual Sports and Entertainment Analytics Conference
- USF baseball’s streak falls one short of record
- ‘Challenge of the perception’
- Local pub crawl mixes business and pleasure
- City needs to rethink answer to helping homeless
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses