Beer commercial sparks idiotic outrage

An advertisement for the Super Bowl on Budweiser's founder caused many to boycott the beer. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Every year companies pay millions of dollars to place its advertisements in a thirty second slot during the Super Bowl. Some are comedic, some attempt to pull at the heartstrings. Most are simply bizarre.

Normally, the conversation in the days following revolves around which commercial was the funniest. This year, that conversation has changed.

This year, a commercial incited an easily offended and obviously bored group of Americans. The US brewery Anheuser-Busch aka Budweiser — yes, the mediocre beer — is currently being boycotted over having the audacity to run a commercial focused on the story of an immigrant.

And whom was the offensive and obviously anti-Trump story told in the commercial about? The founder of Budweiser. Scandalous.

How dare a billion-dollar beer company reflect upon its roots?

The fact of the matter is, Budweiser has not officially said a word about President Trump or his immigration policies. In fact, the idea was settled in October, long before the U.S. fathomed Trump would actually obtain the White House.

“There’s really no correlation with anything else that’s happening in the country,” Richard Marques, Budweiser’s vice president of marketing told Adweek. “We believe this is a universal story that is very relevant today because probably more than any other period in history today the world pulls you in different directions, and it’s never been harder to stick to your guns.”

The commercial caused outrage because it highlighted a fact many Americans would rather ignore: Our country and the many businesses we love and cherish were founded off the backs of immigrants.

That’s a tough pill to swallow when people are so adamant the way to save our nation is to build walls and deny entry based off of passport origins.

The immigration ban, which has currently been lifted by a federal judge but that Trump is adamant will be implemented again soon, was a façade for a ban on Muslims and refugees.

To call it anything else would be to resort to alternative facts.

Immigration has been a hot topic in this nation for decades. Securing our borders has been touted as a policy focus since the creation of the Border Control in 1924.  

Trump is no different, however his plan of action has strayed far from his predecessors.

Thanks to his insistence on a wall and his less than hospitable reception of those approved after months of vetting to enter the U.S. protestors have gathered across the world voicing their displeasure with his failed attempt at governing.

“No hate, no fear, immigrants are welcome here,” is chanted at multiple major airports in the U.S. by protestors.

Budweiser reminded the nation that immigrants aren’t all Trojan horse terrorists. The commercial forced Americans to feel compassion for the protagonist, to recognize his struggle.

It reminded us that good things can come from unexpected places, even from an immigrant who was greeted with nothing but hostility upon his arrival to “the land of the free.”

Thousands of people have used #BoycottBudweiser on social media. Comments range from avid support to utter disappointment from patrons who feel their beer has disrespected their values.

Truthfully, the protest is idiotic. It’s a beer commercial. It was not making a statement; it was simply attempting to sell more beer.

The fact that it has garnered such an outrage shows that a large portion of America is simply looking for a fight.

Breanne Williams is a senior majoring in mass communications.