Women’s soccer improves to 8-0

Freshman Evelyne Viens opened the scoring for USF with her team-leading ninth goal. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE/GOUSFBULLS.COM

The USF women’s soccer team finished its non-conference schedule with a 3-1 win at Old Dominion on Sunday. It was only the second time in school history that USF finished undefeated in non-conference play.

Freshman forward Evelyne Viens scored her team-leading ninth goal of the season in the 10th minute of the game off an assist from freshman Yasmine Hall.

USF (8-0-0) surged from there on out, scoring another goal in the 24th minute off the foot of freshman Andrea Hauksdottir, her third of the season.

Old Dominion looked to close the gap with a goal in the 40th minute on a penalty kick from Jackie Stroud, but USF closed out the game and added an insurance goal in the 63rd minute.

Led by a core of young players, USF’s last eight goals have been scored by freshmen, including all three of Sunday’s goals.

USF opens up AAC play against SMU at home on Thursday at 7 p.m.

Men’s Golf

After back-to-back national title runs, the 21st-ranked USF men’s golf team finds itself in an early hole to begin the season.

After a ninth-place finish in the Rod Myers Invitational on Sept. 11, USF was unable to bounce back this weekend, finishing 10th out of 16 teams at the Maui Jim Intercollegiate in Scottsdale, Arizona.

USF was led by junior Cristian DiMarco and senior Rigel Fernandes, who finished tied for 28th and 36th, respectively.

Junior Jimmy Jones, who played in the No. 1 spot for the team, finished fourth on the team and tied for 65th overall.

The Bulls’ next tournament kicks off on Oct. 17 at the Autotrader.com Collegiate Classic in Duluth, Georgia.

Volleyball

USF volleyball remained perfect at home Sunday with a 3-1 win over Memphis.

USF is now 7-0 at home for the season after holding Memphis (8-6, 0-1) to a .062 hitting percentage in the opening set and .069 in the second.

“We just need to start off strong on our opponents and not play point to point … we just need to stay focused and keep playing together,” senior right side hitter Elyse Panick said in press release.

USF (10-4, 1-1) heads to face Cincinnati on Friday.

Men’s Soccer

USF men’s soccer rode sophomore Christian Knight’s career-high nine saves to a 2-1 road victory over UCF on Saturday. 

USF was outshot 10-5, but was able to respond defensively to keep UCF out of the net for most of the game.

Sophomore Gonzalo Rodriguez scored the game-winning goal for the Bulls in the 66th minute to put the Bulls up 2-1. He also recorded an assist on senior midfielder Lindo Mfeka’s goal to open the scoring. 

USF returns home to host No. 7 Clemson on Tuesday at 7 p.m.