There’s a USF club for every student

The USF Fishing Club gives students the chance to learn a true Florida trade. SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

With new students arriving on campus, or even ones that have been here for a while but want to feel more connected to the student community, student clubs are a way to do it.

With over 630 student organizations registered on BullSync, USF’s student organization website, there is a club for everyone. Students can visit Orgsync.com to see what is available.

Meanwhile, here are some options based on general interests.

Food

If you consider yourself a foodie or if you are new to the Tampa Bay area and don’t know of the best places in the area to eat, visit the Foodies Club at USF. This club, while involving eating, is about so much more than that. Some of the goals they list on their Bullsync page include “support local Farmers' Markets”, “provide access to part-time/full-time job opportunities to students interested in working in the food and hospitality industry as well as internships. Students can also get involved in local food festivals and food events (volunteering and attending). They hold meetings Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. in MSC 2708.

Crafts

Maybe creating art and getting your hands dirty is more your style; check out Lil’ Muddy’s Fun Bunch — a ceramics-themed club. This is an opportunity to learn a new hobby and skill. Students can even sell their artwork at their bi-annual sale, according to their Bullsync page. You can visit their website at LilMuddy.com. Their first meeting of the semester will be September 2 at 1 p.m. in FAH 138.

Music

Most people like specific genres of music and there are clubs on campus that focus on solely one genre each. However, for students looking to learn about multiple genres or a new genre, they can stop in to a Music Appreciation Club meeting. They describe the purpose of their club as to help students “gain exposure to different genres of music while engaging in discussion”. Their first meeting this semester will be September 12 in MSC 3712 at 5:30 p.m.

Outdoors

If you’re looking to take breaks from school and your busy life by indulging in Florida’s great outdoors, try the USF Fishing Club. As with other sports clubs, you will have to fill out a sports club participant waiver on Bullsync to be an official member. According to their Facebook page, you should also “make sure you have a valid government issued fishing license for the waters you intend to fish”. Their second meeting of the semester will be Wednesday at Bass Pro Shops at 10501 Palm River Rd. at 7 p.m.

Comedy

Are you a comedy fan who wants to get into the industry but have no idea how? You can try out the Improv @ USF club. Many famous professionals, such as Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler, got their start in improvisational comedy. Even if you have no interest in comedy, keep in mind that it’s also great for people with anxiety or a fear of public speaking. Meetings begin this Friday at 5:30 p.m. in MSC 3708.