Things to do in Tampa in the fall

By Nicole Cate

By Lifestyle Editor
On August 21, 2016
The Taco Bus location on Fletcher Avenue near campus offers a promotion after every home football game that USF wins. The opponent’s score is the price of tacos in pennies. The promotion is good for up to two tacos per student. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Many students usually see the beginning of fall as the death of summer, no longer having all the time in the world to do whatever they want. Now they have to think about classes, grades, finals and everything that comes along with going back to school. However, this does not mean the fun is over. As USF students, there are many things we can do to break up the monotony of the fall semester.

Take in some USF football

Fall, for many people, especially college students, means one thing and one thing only: football season is back. After USF’s riveting comeback season last year, it’s safe to say that just about everyone is looking to see what the team will bring to the gridiron this season. 

The Bulls’ first game is at home (at Raymond James Stadium, for those freshmen who can’t find the campus stadium) on Sept. 3 at 7:00 p.m. As usual, there will be pep buses taking students to the stadium from the Marshall Student Center. 

Tailgate

On the topic of football, while you’re there, attend a tailgating party. Tailgating goes hand-in-hand with football and it’s not a mystery why. What’s better than enjoying a fresh hamburger and a game of cornhole before watching some USF football? 

There are many clubs on campus that put on tailgating parties at home games and they are usually open to the general public. If you wish to put on your own tailgating party, USF has posted the rules for this on GoUSFBulls.com under the “A-Z Football Fan Guide.” You can even book Rocky D. Bull to visit your tailgating party through the same website.

Howl-O-Scream

A fall staple for people in the area who love Halloween is Busch Gardens’ annual Howl-O-Scream event. Starting on Sept. 23 this year, the amusement park will open it’s horror attraction that includes haunted houses, scare zones and a live show from 7:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. on select nights over the next two months, according to the website. 

Though USF students are currently petitioning the park to bring back the $50 Student Pass, which allowed students to visit the park an unlimited number of times over the course of the school year, the outcome of this will have no effect on Howl-O-Scream, as it is a separately ticketed event. 

You can buy tickets on the Howl-O-Scream website, with single night tickets currently starting at $45.99; and don’t forget to buy soon because tickets are expected to go up to $99.99.

Kayak at Riverfront Park​

Riverfront Park is a great resource for USF students that love the outdoors. It’s not far from the school and it’s free to current USF students, staff and faculty with a USF ID. If you need to take a break from your dorm room or any lecture halls, visit the park whenever you have time and rent a kayak. 

The park has both one- and two-person kayaks for rent. Renting a two-person kayak costs $10 per boat for up to two hours, and renting a one person kayak is $5 with the same specifications, according to USF’s website. You will need to provide your USF ID for the rental, but after that, it’s just smooth sailing (or paddling) on the Hillsborough River.