USF assistant coach resigns amid NCAA investigation

USF men's basketball assistant Oliver Antigua (right) — younger brother of head coach Orlando (left)— resigned after news broke of USF being under an NCAA investigation. ORACLE FILE PHOTO/ADAM MATHIEU

Wednesday afternoon, ESPN college basketball writer Jeff Goodman reported USF was under investigation by the NCAA for alleged academic fraud.

The school followed up with a statement hours later, choosing to not disclose information for the duration of the investigation.

The statement read:

“The University of South Florida and the NCAA enforcement staff are working together to investigate and resolve an inquiry into potential violations of NCAA bylaws and university standards by one of our intercollegiate athletic programs. Because the University of South Florida is committed to protecting the integrity of the investigation and ensuring those involved receive fair treatment, we cannot provide any details about the investigation at this time.”

In the following hour, USF announced assistant coach Oliver Antigua, brother of head coach Orlando Antigua, had resigned his position. Oliver had reportedly been barred from the recruiting trail for the past month.

It was also reported that Oliver was not allowed to part take in recruiting trips this month with the summer’s five-day window opening this week.

Oliver joined the team following his brother’s hiring in March of 2014.

According to ESPN’s report, the players involved are said to be players that played in the 2015-16 season.

USF, which was 7-24 last season, has missed out on postseason basketball since the 2011-12 season when the Bulls made the NCAA Tournament.

News of the NCAA investigation broke mere hours after the Big 12 voted to approve the search for expansion Tuesday night. The potential violations forthcoming could likely be reason enough for the Big 12 to not extend an offer to USF when it convenes again.

For more updates follow on Twitter: @USFOracleSports @VJPortell