The lesson to be learned from Brexit

Last week the United Kingdom (UK) voted to leave the European Union (EU). While taking a page out of America’s current presidential race and relying on anti-immigrant propaganda and lies about funding, the aftermath of Brexit is far from optimistic.

Within the next two years as the UK transitions into isolation, many countries, including the U.S., will be watching with bated breaths to see how its departure will affect the rest of the world.

For Britain, the forecasted negative effects include a potential economic recession, Scotland and Northern Ireland holding referendums for independence and rejoining the EU, trade deficits and the likelihood of other EU countries exiting as well, which will lead to the demise of the EU as a whole.

The British pound has steadily been declining since Thursday’s vote, reaching the lowest it’s been in 31 years. France passed Britain as the world’s fifth largest economy and it is estimated the Euro will face a similar drop in value as well.

Leaving the EU does not necessarily mean Britain can singlehandedly take control of immigration. In order to completely close the borders in an effort to restrict immigration the UK must cut itself off from the rest of Europe, which will mean they must leave the single market and face severe economic repercussions.

Essentially, Britain must choose to either stick with its vow of isolation, or keep a functioning economy. A decision that on paper, seems obvious, yet many are struggling to decide which route they want their nation to choose.

The disastrous vote last week has caused quite a stir amongst Americans who are starting to realize the arguments stated in Brexit and those in the forefront of our upcoming election are alarming similar.

Yes, every American is aware that immigration is a major issue candidates are leaning on. However many are beginning to see the “seclusion is salvation” attitude many Americans have touted for years may have major flaws.

After Thursday’s vote there has been an onslaught of racist attacks in the UK as many Brits believe they now have the right to threaten and harass any immigrant or ethnic person they encounter.

The harassment became so outrageous the office of Prime Minister David Cameron released a warning to citizens stating, “"We should be absolutely clear that this government will not tolerate intolerance … intimidating migrants, telling them they need to go home."

London’s mayor Sadiq Khan placed the police on alert and called on the masses to not tolerate such disgusting displays of hate.

"I've asked our police to be extra vigilant for any rise in cases of hate crime, and I'm calling on all Londoners to pull together and rally behind this great city," stated Khan.

With the increased tension and ungovernable hatred, many UK citizens are rethinking their votes. A petition for a second EU referendum has over 4 million signatures and is only growing as people beg their government for a second chance.

It is too late for the UK to salvage their mistake, however the U.S. still has a chance to refrain from mimicking Britain’s blunder. Our situations are not identical, but the hate tactics used to boost both campaigns is frighteningly similar.

Come November the country will unite to vote the next president into office. As of now we have three options. A democrat whom many do not trust but who has refrained from supporting any radical ideologies, a libertarian who is practically unknown and slightly odd but who has yet to resort to hate tactics and a republican who is known across the globe as the man who wants to build a wall.

The Stay Campaign in Europe often called the Leave ideologies “Trumpisms.” Ultimately, America will elect who the people genuinely feel is most qualified to run our nation.

We must be prepared to accept the results of that vote because, as the UK is quickly realizing, there is no such thing as a do-over in politics.