HBO announces Game of Thrones weekly recap show

HBO recently announced a new show the avid fans of “Game of Thrones” were excited to hear about.

“After the Thrones” is a talk show about the popular HBO series “Game of Thrones”, a fantasy drama based on George R.R. Martin’s book series “A Song of Ice and Fire.” According to HBO’s website, “‘After the Thrones’ recaps the latest episode, explaining the who, what, when and where, exploring the complicated politics and history of Thrones, and offering absurd and not-so-absurd theories about future episodes.”

AMC was one of the first networks to host after-show talk shows for its most popular shows, which included “The Talking Dead” for the show “The Walking Dead,” “Talking Bad” for “Breaking Bad” and “Talking Saul” for “Better Call Saul.”

This trend quickly caught on as more stations got into after shows, with FX airing “Anarchy Afterword” after “Sons of Anarchy” and MTV hosting “After After Show” for its popular series “Teen Wolf.”

It was inevitable that one of HBO’s most talked-about shows would follow suit and have its own after show.

“After the Thrones” will be hosted by Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan, who currently host “The Watch” for Channel 33’s podcast feed, which, according to HBO’s website, has been called one of the best pop-culture podcasts by New York Magazine, the Guardian and Entertainment Weekly.

Ryan is the executive editor for The Ringer, an upcoming sports and pop culture site run by Bill Simmons, a sports columnist, podcaster and executive producer of “After the Thrones.” Ryan is also a popular podcaster who previously hosted the ESPN blog Grantland’s hit podcast “Watch the Thrones.”

Greenwald is a well-established TV critic and author of two books, “Nothing Feels Good: Punk Rock, Teenagers, and Emo” and “Miss Misery: A Novel,” with a third on the way. According to HBO, his commentary has been featured in a variety of publications, including the New Yorker and Vanity Fair.

“After the Thrones” will premiere April 25, a day after the highly anticipated “Game of Thrones” season premiere.

The show will be available for streaming every Monday on HBO NOW and HBO GO.  According to Variety, if the show becomes popular enough, it could be added to HBO’s live channel, though a date is uncertain.