Sex, love and coffee — Gilmore Girls returns

By Averi Goetz, CORRESPONDENT
On March 23, 2016

It’s time to start brewing the coffee and pulling out the junk food — the Gilmore girls are returning to the screen. 

Netflix recently announced that it will revive the popular television series “Gilmore Girls.” 

The stars of the show, Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel, play the dynamic mother and daughter duo: Lorelai and Rory Gilmore. 

Fun and loving, single-mother Lorelai dreams of opening and inn, while best friend and daughter Rory has her sights set on a career in journalism. 

Unlike many shows past and present, “Gilmore Girls” was not plot driven, rather character-centric. The focus was on the relatable relationship between Lorelai and Rory. 

The show revolves around the relationship of the two while they deal with the dramas of life and boys in the quirky small-town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut. 

“I’m thrilled this revival is happening, because this show is something I grew up watching with my mom,” Natasha Harris, a junior majoring in biomedical sciences, said. “Even now that I’m away at college, it’s something we’re looking forward to doing together again.” 

The show aired from 2000 to 2007, with seven total seasons, all of which are available on Netflix for streaming. 

The final season ended with Lorelai rekindling her much-anticipated relationship with diner-owner Luke Danes, and Rory rejecting the marriage proposal of college sweetheart Logan Huntzberger before leaving for her first post-grad journalism assignment. 

The revival will take place in present day, roughly 10 years after the original show’s tenure. There will be four 90-minute episodes, each taking place during a different season, beginning with winter. 

It has not yet been announced whether or not the episodes will be released all at once or individually on Netflix. 

Almost all of the original cast members have been confirmed for the revival, as well as a few new faces. According to Bustle, much to fans’ delight, all three of Rory’s past boyfriends have also been confirmed to make appearances at some point throughout revival. 

According to tv.com, “Sherman-Palladino has said that Rory will be single — as in not married — but dating when the series returns.”  

Debates and speculation on who Rory will end up with have already begun online and around campus. 

Morgan Eng, a junior majoring in advertising, said “‘Gilmore Girls’ was one of my favorite shows to watch in high school, and I’m excited to see how the characters have changed over the years. I especially want to see Rory and Logan together again.” 

Although a release date has yet to be announced, it can be confirmed that filming has started. Several actors and actresses from the show have posted pictures on social media of them once again on the set of Stars Hollow. 

This long-awaited revival will give fans the chance to enjoy even more of the beloved characters in the show, as well as possibly receive the closure that they’ve been waiting for.