USF’s McMurray, Williams earn conference honors

Freshman guard Jahmal McMurray sits just 91 points behind former USF standout Dominique Jones for most points scored by a freshman.
ORACLE FILE PHOTOT/ADAM MATHIEU

For the second time in his young career, men’s basketball’s freshman point guard Jahmal McMurray was named the AAC Rookie of the Week on Monday after scoring 38 points total in wins over East Carolina and Memphis last week.

McMurray came into the season as the backup to sophomore Roddy Peters, but an ankle injury in December opened the doors to McMurray’s emergence as USF’s top scorer (15.3 ppg).

Despite sitting behind Peters for 10 games, McMurray sits just 91 points behind Dominique Jones for the most points scored by a freshman in program history. With a minimum of four games left, the Kansas native would have to average 22.7 points over that span.

Senior Guard Courtney Williams also received honors as the AAC Women’s Basketball Player of the Week after averaging 24 points and totaling 19 rebounds against Louisville (67-50 loss) and Memphis (97-82 win).

This is the third time Williams has received the honor. She also sits on the late-season top 20 list for the Wooden Award, the Los Angeles Athletic Club announced on ESPNW on Feb. 17.

Baseball: Sophomore second baseman Kevin Merrell was selected to the AAC Honor Roll after batting .462 in USF’s opening series of the season.