Flowers’ alma mater hires Florida’s first female head football coach

SPECIAL TO THE ORACLE

Women are continuing to advance in the world of sports with NBA and NFL teams taking on female assistants. Miami Jackson High School — the former home of USF sophomore quarterback Quinton Flowers — continued in that trend Monday with the hiring of reality TV star Lakatriona Brunson as its head football coach.

Brunson, who gained notoriety as an assistant manager on TruTV’s “South Beach Tow,” became the first woman to hold such a position in Florida.

“Today is historic for not only Florida, but Miami Jackson,” Brunson told the Miami Herald. “When (former coach Earl Little) stepped down, I took a look at (the job) like, ‘Why can’t I do it?’”

But Brunson isn’t the only celebrity who will walk the sidelines this season.

The former leader of the 1980’s rap group 2 Live Crew, Luther Campbell, was also hired on as the Generals’ defensive coordinator. Campbell served as defensive coordinator in recent years at Miami Central, Miami Northwestern and, most recently, at Miami Norland.

In what is arguably the most competitive region in the state, as far as football goes, Miami Jackson has never won a state football title. The team finished 5-5 in Flowers’ final season in 2013 and just 3-6 last year, but the school hopes  that will change under Brunson.

“We’re just here to change the atmosphere at Miami Jackson and get some W’s on the board,” 38-year-old Brunson said. “I know I can do it. … Watch what we’re going to do. It’s some big things coming up.

“We’re not here to talk about music or reality TV. We’re here to talk about football only.”

Campbell, 55, was also in the running for the program’s top job, but was not a certified teacher in Miami-Dade public schools, as required by the county’s guidelines for athletics and extracurricular activities.

Brunson is currently a physical education teacher at the school. She will also coach the girls’ flag football team and was formerly an assistant for the girls’ basketball team.

According to the Herald, Campbell said Miami Jackson reached out to him about the job, but he wanted the school to do something special. In his eyes, the school made the right hire.

“It’s a lot of people that probably applied for this position and look who is here,” Brunson said. “I’m ready for whatever comes my way. I’m ready to fight, ready to get these guys prepared and ready to win.”