The king and queen have arrived

Bull pride during Homecoming Week continues tonight with the announcement of the king and queen.  

Students are invited to dress up and join the royal court and the 2015 Campus Traditions Board (CTB) members tonight at the ball, which starts at 8:30 in the Marshall Student Center Ballroom

Unlike the mad hatter-themed ball last year, the room will sparkle in green and gold decor to match the masquerade theme this year. There will be refreshments, dancing and giveaways. In addition, there will be music by a live DJ and former USF student DJ Milez. 

Ron Palmer, graduate adviser of  CTB, said the first 200 to 300 people will receive free masks at the door.

Coronation will begin around 9:30 p.m. with the introduction of the 2015 Royal Homecoming Court. This will include all three USF campuses: Tampa, Sarasota-Manatee and St. Petersburg.  

In previous years, the Royal Court from the St. Petersburg and Sarasota-Manatee campuses were introduced at the homecoming ball, but their winners were titled lord,  lady, and duke and duchess. This year, that has changed.

“In the past, USF St. Pete and USF Sarasota-Manatee’s royalty were not called king and queen, but this year all three campuses in the USF System will have equally titled royalty — kings and queens for each campus,” Center for Student Involvement (CSI) Coordinator Athena Bressack said.

The budget for this year’s Homecoming Ball, paid for by student Activity and Service fees and allocated to CSI by Student Government, is $20,250.

Other events for the week included Monday’s kickoff ($5,000), Tuesday’s Stampede Comedy Show ($60,000), Thursday and Friday’s Carnival ($40,000), the parade ($3,000) and Friday’s After Party Concert in the Sun Dome, which was allocated $153,500 — including rapper Big Sean’s performance contract of $100,000.

For more information about this year’s homecoming budget, visit ​http://www.usforacle.com.