Trump’s unconstitutional plan to fight illegal immigration

By Breanne Williams, Columnist
On September 28, 2015

On Sunday, Donald Trump discussed several of his key policy details with “60 Minutes” correspondent Scott Pelley. As he detailed his plans for office, Trump revealed he is in no way capable of leading this nation.

Trump made several bold statements during the interview including a breakdown of his plan for tax reformation and fixing health care. His most controversial comment, however, involved his plan for fixing immigration.

Pelley asked Trump if he was serious about deporting 12 million illegal immigrants. In reply, Trump simply stated, “You just said it, they’re illegal immigrants. They’re here illegally.”

He then went on to illustrate the details of his plan by saying, “First of all, I have to start a little bit differently. We’re going to build a wall and we’re going to create a border. It’s going to be a great wall and it’s not going to be very expensive.”

Trump has repeatedly praised the genius of his wall proposal and has even made several statements declaring Mexico will fund most of the costs for the wall. 

However, the idea of using a wall to keep out unwanted groups has been used for centuries, albeit unsuccessfully. The Great Wall of China and the Israili West Bank barrier are two prominent examples. It is naive to believe constructing an impenetrable wall is a realistic achievement. 

According to Trump, the answer to that predicament lies entirely in appearance. He said, “It will be a real wall. It’ll be a wall that works. It’ll actually be a wall that will look good, believe it or not. Because what they have now is a joke. They are ugly, little and don’t work.”

If only ancient China knew about the influence aesthetics have on effectiveness. Trump is confident his wall will cease the movement of illegal immigrants into our country. However, many experts disagree. 

Wayne Cornelius, the director of the Mexican migration field research program at the University of California, called Trump’s plan “ludicrous”  

“Any physical barrier can be tunneled under or climbed over or gotten around. There will always be gaps,” Cornelius said, according to the Washington Post.

The most sickening of Trump’s proposal was his plan for illegal immigrants already within the borders of the U.S. He declared that as president, he would be “rounding them up in a very humane way, in a very nice way. And they’re going to be happy because they want to be legalized … I know it doesn’t sound nice. But not everything is nice.”

The leading candidate for the Republican primaries believes assembling all illegal immigrants and forcibly deporting them is the answer to the U.S.’s immigration problem. 

When Pelley professed his plan was both impractical and in violation of the constitution, Trump simply replied, “We’ll see.”

As the 2016 presidential election heats up, candidates continue becoming more specific with their plans for office. Trump has made it explicitly clear that he plans to run the U.S. with an intolerant mindset and a closed fist. While his plans are grand, they are entirely unfeasible. 

Breanne Williams is a junior majoring in mass communications.