Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter

Late penalty drops Bulls to draw

Published: Monday, October 1, 2012

Updated: Monday, October 1, 2012 00:10

The last ten minutes of regulation determined the game for the USF women’s soccer team against Louisville on Sunday.

Leading 1-0 with seven minutes left in regulation, Bulls’ forward Marsha Harper was called for a foul for pushing the Cardinals’ Angelika Uremovich to the ground inside the goalie’s box, setting up a penalty kick that allowed the Cardinals (7-4-2) to tie the game and push the Bulls (6-4-2) to a 1-1 draw in double overtime.

Senior defender Kelly Campbell said she felt the officials made a bad call.

“Our centerback’s hands were up in the air and she wasn’t touching the girl at all,” Campbell said. “I think it was a bad call by the refs. The forward dove a little and fortunately got a call to go into overtime.”

Coach Denise Schilte-Brown described the game as an emotional roller coaster.

“I felt it was an emotional game because the girls really executed a lot in the final third that we have been working on,” Schilte-Brown said. “I thought we were very dangerous. We were patient in the final thirds, made the passes and we didn’t put it in the back of the net for one reason or another.”

Junior forward Sharla Passariello led the team with six of the team’s 12 shots, three of which were shots at goal.

Goalkeeper Christiane Endler saved eight out of the Cardinals’ 16 shots.

Campbell said Endler’s performance makes her one of the best goalkeepers in the Big East.

“Her range, not just her saves, but the way she can kick the ball to any one of our players on the field,” Campbell said. “She really helps us keep possession of the ball, especially when your legs are tired.”

Schilte-Brown said the team is “lucky to have her.”

“What you want from a goalkeeper to save the ball that should have gone in and when you have a goalkeeper that does that, you have a great one,” Schilte-Brown said. “She did that today. She’s an incredible goalkeeper.”

Coming off a win against Cincinnati on Friday, USF was able to continue where they left off with Passariello, assisted by Freshmen midfielder Olivia Chance, scoring their only goal of the game in the first half with 8:50 into the game.

The Cardinals came close to scoring in the first half, but Endler was able to save the ball from going into the net.

In the second half, the Bulls continued what they were doing in the first half with multiple one-on-one opportunities with the goalie, but couldn’t get the ball into the back of the net.

In overtime, both teams came out trying to score, but both attempts ended with a save. The Bulls were able to connect on a goal in double overtime, but the goal was overturned due to a handball.

Sophomore midfielder Cara Patterson left the game in the first half after colliding with a Cardinals’ player and did not return.

The Bulls will be back on the road when they travel to UConn on Friday and Providence on Sunday.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article!

log out