Jo Koy talks about life on tour

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 31, 2013 01:01

After 20 years in thecomedy circuit, Jo Koy has gained notability in the stand-up world. 

Since being one of very few comedians to receive a standing ovation on the “Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” Koy has become a recognizable fixture on Chelsea Handler’s late night talk show “Chelsea Lately” and in comedy clubs across the country.

The Oracle spoke with Koy about his upcoming performances at the Tampa Improv from March 14 to 16. Tickets are $25 for general admission or $55 for VIP tickets.

The Oracle: How long will you be on tour?  

JK: Until the end of the year. I’m going for it; it’s the only way to go. If I don’t do it, I have to remember where I was before. Do I want to be on the road? Or do I want to be at Nordstrom Rack getting shoes for people?

O: Do you have any plans of doing a college tour again? 

JK: I love the clubs too much, you know? There’s something about being in a club, the club environment. But with a

college, they don’t provide you with the stuff that you need when you perform. 

Sometimes they’ll get you just like this makeshift

ballroom, and they’ll build a stage for you. It just doesn’t feel the same. The vibe isn’t the same. You go to a

comedy club and it’s built for comedy, and people are there

for comedy. It’s a lot of fun. 

O: What is the craziest thing that has happened to you while on tour?

JK: Having to book my flight over, because I ended up

passing out in New Jersey. That was the worst. Every eligible flight was booked. I ended paying a couple grand for like a middle coach seat. That was the craziest. But I had a blast, don’t get me wrong. 

O: Have you ever had any crazy fan experiences? 

JK: Yeah, Hawaii. I never understood why people had to change their names. But a

couple of chicks found out what hotel I was at, and start banging on my door at 2 a.m. (In a feminine voice) ‘I know you’re in there. Oh my God. Oh my God. I know you’re in there.’ I had to call security. 

O: How do you find new material? 

JK: It’s not about finding it. I’m not scared to talk. So if I have an idea, I’m just going to say it. If it bombs, it bombs. I’ve gotten to the point where I can deliver it and sell it. I’m not scared to talk about a

topic. I don’t know how to

explain it, that’s why it’s

always fresh, and there’s

always something new in my act. I like have an hour and 10 minutes to kill on stage. I don’t mind trying out some new s---, you know what I mean? 

O: How does your family like being part of your

material? 

JK: My mom always thinks there’s not enough material about her. I always do about 10 minutes on her, so come on. 

O: What about your son? Has he reached the age of

being embarrassed that his dad has talked about his “ting-ting” to the world? 

JK: Yeah, I’ve stopped talking about it, you know? It’s been awesome, but every time we go out, someone always says, ‘Oh my God, is that Ting-ting?’ My son just kind of smiles. He still likes it. He thinks it’s funny. But I don’t talk about it anymore. I’m on to other stuff that humiliates him just the same. But hey, he’ll get a

college career out of it. He gets to go to college for free. He gets to live a good life. 

O: Have you ever thought about getting into acting? 

JK: Yeah, I want to. It’s

every comic’s dream. I’ve had several opportunities, but it’s just hard in this business. It’s catching that break. You have to keep pushing. It’s my

20th year. But I can’t give up. God bless Chelsea (Handler) for giving me such a beautiful

opportunity. She has stuck with me for this long, and I’m still a part of the show. It makes me happy.