Jill Kelley attempted to forge USF-Korea relations

Published: Monday, November 26, 2012

Updated: Monday, November 26, 2012 07:11

The bizarre tale of the Gen. David Petraeus affair, which seems to have endless detours, unanswered questions and peculiar connections, has finally found a strange tie to USF, according to a Tampa Bay Times article.

According to the article, Jill Kelley, the 37-year-old South Tampa socialite who initially tipped off the FBI probe into Petraeus’ affair with his biographer Paula Broadwell, attempted to forge relations between USF Health and South Korea, the country she had been appointed as honorary consul to, and despite a previous Tampa Bay Times report that few South Koreans had heard of her, has provided her with “diplomatic protection” as a media maelstrom has gathered.

The article, printed Thursday, states that Kelley sent emails in September to USF Health CEO and College of Medicine Dean Stephen Klasko asking if he “had any interest in a medical, pharmaceutical or research exchange between USF and Korea.”

Klasko responded telling her the university had “’significant relationships’” with South Korea and encouraged her to visit USF’s Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation (CAMLS), the article stated.

John Sinnott, Associate Dean for USF Medicine International, and Kelley exchanged a few dates for attending the tour, the article said, but Kelley never visited.

Staff report

1 comments

Anonymous
Mon Nov 26 2012 10:40
Some helpful background on honorary consuls which may help demystify. You can confirm this with a political science or econ professor on campus.HONORARY CONSULSLike their counterparts the standard consuls and consuls general (often referred to as "career consuls"), the honorary consul is an official of the sending country. Unlike regular consuls however, the honorary consul is not a government employee of the sending state, and therefore does not change posts based on changes of administration in the sending country.Honorary consuls are generally dignitaries or persons of position in business and society in the receiving state, while having some connection to the sending state. Honorary consuls are not necessarily citizens of the sending states; rather, they are recognized by the sending states as persons of influence, capable of furthering the objectives of the sending state in the receiving state.Honorary consuls may represent large and densely populated counties, or, as is often the case, small countries in the developing world which seek to promote business diplomacy. As big business often seeks to establish itself in the developing world, honorary consuls are often chosen for their acumen in such environs.Most honorary consuls are people of means or independent wealth who do not receive monetary compensation for their service as consul. They may have other business interests. Many hold the title for life. Such long term establishment of official representation is invaluable to the sending state. Honorary consuls are often called upon to provide back channel information or communications, diplomatic advance team logistics, local reputation perceptions and government relations. Many come from previous careers in trade, business or elected office.Honorary consuls are unique in that they are officials of both the sending state and the host state. Honorary consuls in the U.S. are confirmed by the State Department and issued a State Department Consular ID. They are provided many of the immunities of standard consular position. Most honorary consuls are appointed by the president of their sending state, rather than the minister of foreign relations as is the case with standard consuls. Effective standard consuls will often call upon honorary consuls to familiarize and introduce the standard consul within an area where the honorary consul resides.Many honorary consuls have the same capabilities as standard consuls regarding identification and document legalization. This capability is referred to in the honorary consular community as "powers". Those with powers legalize documents and provide identification (passport) assistance to the citizens of the sending countries. Honorary consuls without powers will often refer such needs to the nearest consul general of their sending state, or will help citizens obtain Hague apostilles when appropriate.In cases when a developing or small country does not have the budget to maintain an embassy in a given country, they may establish an honorary consul instead. In such cases, the honorary consul fulfills the duties otherwise assigned to ambassadors or consuls general. Such individuals usually hold the title of Honorary Consul General.Posted by Jonathan Warren at 3:34 PM Labels: honorary consul10 comments:AnonymousAugust 31, 2009 3:42 PMDo honorary consul generals get to enjoy the same privelages as a regular consul general? E.g dimplomatic number platesReplyJonathan WarrenAugust 31, 2009 4:10 PMThe privileges are different. In some ways they are better, other ways they are not. Career consuls are employees of foreign governments, working in diplomatic capacity. They have special license plates because of a certain kind of immunity. Honorary consuls also have a certain kind of immunity, but it is more limited, and is quite different. They usually do have special license plates, but their immunity only comes in to play if they are acting in consular capacity at that moment.ReplyAnonymousSeptember 10, 2009 4:59 PMwhen do i need a honorary counsels's service?ReplyAnonymousSeptember 30, 2009 11:41 AMAre there any tax exemptions for Honorary Consul?ReplyAnonymousDecember 4, 2009 4:23 PMHonorary consuls in the UK do not have special number plates or priviligesReplyMandiJune 29, 2011 6:02 AMI would love to become an honorary consular for my parents' home country on Ghana. How would I go about doing this?ReplyEmanuelAugust 15, 2011 2:51 PMFor how long is an honorary consul in his position?Who decides ?ReplyAnonymousSeptember 28, 2011 12:35 PMIn the cases where honorary consuls actually are paid by the sending country, will they be eligible to draw retirement from that country like a Career Consul?ReplyNoraihan1January 3, 2012 3:51 PMIf the Honorary Consul does not have a mission in the country where he/she is serving? Not a national of the sending country?What is the office of the Honorary Consul called?ReplyJonathan WarrenJanuary 3, 2012 7:35 PMIn answer to the several questions...