Israeli diplomacy is a failure

Published: Monday, September 12, 2011

Updated: Monday, September 12, 2011 01:09

Israel's recent foreign relations are fraught with uncertainty.

Longtime ally Turkey has distanced itself from Israel ever since the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) stormed a Turkish ship during the Gaza flotilla incident in 2010. Neighboring Syria is rioting under a general crackdown, and on top of that, Egyptian citizens mobbed the Israeli embassy in Cairo last week. The ambassador was forced to flee to Israel, according to Reuters.

This most recent incident is another warning sign of future conflicts and anger. There remains a flame that persistently smolders from Israel's many unrestrained crackdowns on Palestinians. Unless Israel changes its self-defeating foreign and domestic policies, it invites future hostility to its people.

Israel's main security concern is the West Bank and the Gaza Strip of Palestine — the border between Gaza and Egypt — because it conceals hundreds of tunnels beneath the dirt and sand. According to NPR, smuggling at this border is not just common, it's a daily occurrence. According to Haaretz, an Israeli newspaper, Egypt has been destroying the tunnels and plans to construct an iron wall that extends 20 to 30 meters underground.

According to the Huffington Post, Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu has been rallying support for the recognition of Palestine as a state for an upcoming meeting among United Nations (U.N.) leaders Sept. 20 — recognition Israel refuses to give.

It is unlikely Palestine will be recognized as a state by the U.N., as the U.S. holds veto power and is an ally to Israel. This has been the case in previous attempts to recognize Palestinian statehood. The ‘Six Day War' in 1967 was started to liberate Palestine and get revenge against Israel's incursions into the West Bank. The IDF attacked the West Bank to strike suspected terrorists. The IDF launched air strikes into Palestine in the last decade with a similar regard for international opinion.

Davutoglu's comments have only further deteriorated relations between Israel and Turkey. Turkish news outlet Today's Zaman speculated Sunday about reports that Israel's Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman was considering negotiating with or arming the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), a known terrorist group. According to Haaretz, Davutoglu said during a press conference, "No one will be able to blackmail us. We hope Israel's denial (of supporting the PKK) will also be accompanied by actions."

Israel continues to stumble from one diplomatic faux paus to another. However, Israel is tolerated because its military prowess is superior to most of its neighbors, both in technology and training. Globalfirepower.com compares nations on respective military strength, and of Israel's neighbors, only Turkey was rated higher. Nonetheless, Israel possesses more aircraft than Turkey and has received $3 billion in U.S. aid annually since 1985, according to globalfirepower.com.

In light of the Arab Spring, the recent wave of revolutions across the Middle East, Palestinians appear more destitute than ever. They were left out of the Arab Spring, but they are no less deserving of political and economic freedoms. Israel will isolate itself diplomatically if it refuses to negotiate. As strong as the IDF is, Israel can still lose a war if it has no allies.

1 comments

Arafat
Mon Sep 12 2011 21:35
"In light of the Arab Spring, the recent wave of revolutions across the Middle East, Palestinians appear more destitute than ever. They were left out of the Arab Spring, but they are no less deserving of political and economic freedoms."

Well, if that ain't the most reidiculous thing I've ever read I'm not sure what is.

Islam and democracy are incompatible. In Islam Allah and his laws (Sharia) reign supreme over everything else. Muslims are superior to non-Muslims and Sharia law (the God given law) is superior to man-made law.

This is why, of course there is no REAL democracy in Islam. Sure there are silly elections, but there is no recognition of freedoms, no recognition of individual rights, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc...

So the NYT and all the media moronic talking heads and call it the "Arab Spring" but it has nothing to do with Springtime. All it has to do with is the Islamists taking control from the despots -- an eternal event in Islamic history.

So you can blame Israel all you want for what is happening today with Turkey, Egypt and Syria but it does not mean it has anything to do with the real world. It's just a fantasy inside your head. Israel could go back to the Green Line and it would not make a difference. Israel could make reparations and give the Palestinians the right of return and it would make no difference.

For let's cut out all the crap, we all know what Muslims ultimately want. We know that when Israel gave up its small settlements in Gaza in exchange for peace they got, instead, thousands of rockets. And, we know that if Israel lets the Palestinians return to the Green Line the same exact thing will happen.

So quit your silly and shallow editorial. You and I know it's a sham, just as we know that the peace accord between Sudan and South Sudan is a sham. The detente between Pakistan and India is a sham which the Muslims will eventually break. The conflicts in NW China, southern Russia, southern Thailand, Nigeria, Somalia, Egypt against Copts, Iraq against Chaldeans, Turks and Iranians and Iraqis against urds are all shams for Isamic quest for supremacy.

Israel just has the misfortune to be on the front line of that quest. So let's call a spade a spade, you silver-tongued snake.