Grammy performances: Too much or just enough?

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013 01:02

Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift and Alicia Keys were only some of the performers  who dazzled their peers with surprise collaborations, interesting
performance attempts and lots of choreography at the 55th annual Grammy Awards, which took place in Los Angeles on Sunday evening. 

Hours before the collection of stars reported to their assigned seats, Rihanna grabbed the first Grammy win for Best Short Form Video with her song “We Found Love,” beating out Kanye West and Jay-Z’s “No Church in the Wild” and M.I.A’s “Bad Girls.” 

But the talk of the town came from the one thing all audiences look forward to — the performances. 

The excitement of the first awards wore off after the first performance from the ever-evolving Taylor Swift. Swift took the stage in what seemed to be far from her element. 

Taking advantage of her shining moment of opening the Grammy Awards in front of an almost painfully captive audience, Swift seemed Gaga-esque in her sparkling top hat and cape, reminiscent of the Mad Hatter’s from Alice in Wonderland. Vocally unimpressive and mildly confusing, the performance for her Grammy-winning “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” started the evening on an off-beat — and off-key — note. 

Not a moment too soon, Swift finished her performance to make way for a heartfelt introduction from LL Cool J. 

Sir Elton John then performed 21-year-old pop sensation Ed Sheeran’s “A Team” with Sheeran, leaving viewers befuddled, pondering as to why the redheaded newcomer did not accompany the Sir on one of his timeless, legendary songs.

As the night went on, it seemed as though things were slowly improving.

Adele was given the first award of the ceremony, and immediately after John Mayer emerged in a purple velvet ensemble, which called to mind a Halloween Pimp costume. 

Dirks Bentley’s performance was audibly appealing, and simple — apparently the best way to go.

It seemed simplicity was key for a decent performance, as Wiz Khalifa joined up-and-coming R&B talent Miguel for a too-short performance of “Adorn.”

It didn’t take long until a universal favorite, Mumford and Sons, took the stage doing exactly what they should have — playing the tried and true music they’ve released, with plain yellow lights shining through their silhouettes as they seemed to give their all into the thing they were there to do. Not surprisingly, CBS cameramen skillfully snuck a couple of shots of other musicians singing along. 

Justin Timberlakes made up for his not-so-thrilling first single by performing it live with an immediate follow-up of his new single “Pusher Love Girl,” laced with some of the most poetic falsetto of any R&B song out.

Sting’s contribution to Bruno Mars’ “Locked Out of Heaven” was not a far cry, as the two have incredibly similar sounding styles.

Essentially, this year’s Grammys was not lacking in the shock factors — despite CBS’s attempt to stifle outrageous wardrobes, by banning “fleshy under curves of the buttocks and buttock crack,” “Bare sides or under curvature of the breasts” and “puffy skin” exposure. 

But the people that were meant to do well, did just that. And that is what people will remember about this year’s Grammy awards.