‘Goating’ takes over the Internet

Published: Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 00:03

The newest pop sensations across the many genres of music isn’t Lady Gaga, nor is it Chris Brown. 

Bleating goats are the latest stars of the music industry. 

It all began with a group of yelling goats and a camera, but now a couple of innocent farm animals have made waves around the world via YouTube, with their mixed renditions of famous tunes, along with their own Reddit.com subreddit page, “r/Goat Edition.” 

One of the first  ‘goating’ remixes was Taylor Swift’s “Trouble,” in which a white goat was inserted into the music video, bleating with all its might, during the chorus of the song. The pop singer’s newest remix now has over 7 million hits on YouTube.

And Swift isn’t alone in being the butt of a hard-not-to-laugh-at joke. 

With over 30 different goat-laden pop songs circulating the internet — everything ranging from Bon Jovi’s “Livin’ On A Prayer,” to Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA” — those beloved goats are maintaining a cult following, where everyone has their favorite goat.

Here are the top four giggle-worthy ‘goating’ videos.

1.Katy Perry — Firework

The goat group makes a predictable appearance in the remix of Katy Perry’s inspirational song “Firework,” but it’s a must-see of the viral YouTube sensations. Multiple goats — all of which play a vital role in the success of initiating some “LOLZ” — each take a turn at making the song a little less heartfelt and a lot more entertaining.  

2.Collective Soul — Shine

This rendition of the 1993 Collective Soul tune, “Shine,” is definitely worthy of many more views than it actually has. Though this hidden gem is before the time of many of today’s YouTubers and Redditors, it isn’t hard to laugh at the simplicity of a goat contributing to an early ’90s grunge tune. 

3.Skrillex — First of the Year

If you’re a dubstep fan, the goat edition of Skrillex’s “First of the Year,” will be on replay. The video — which has over 2 million views — gives stark contrast between a goat’s screams and the heavy electro-grunge sounds rounds out the song, making it pretty spot-on with the original version. 

4.Miley Cyrus — Party in the USA

Let the music of Miley Cyrus’ “Party in the USA” take you back to a simpler time, when her hair was a natural color, she sang teenie-bopper tunes and goats roamed the Earth.  Well, goats are obviously still roaming the Earth, but they are also breathing new life into this, mildly obnoxious bouncy tune. The black “Yeah” goat is the star of the video, making his name in the crazy Internet world of
“goating” as a fan favorite.