EDITORIAL: University should re-evaluate spending, cuts

Published: Monday, September 23, 2013

Updated: Monday, September 23, 2013 00:09

In a time of extreme budget cuts, there’s somehow room in the budget cuts for faculty raises. 

At the Faculty Senate meeting last week, USF administrators stated they were looking to cut $12 million from this year’s budget, $9 million of which would be coming from Academic Affairs and its support units, such as the Library and Office of Graduate Studies. 

And yet in a time when $9 million has to be taken out of academics, the school can afford merit raises for faculty.  

While it isn’t that faculty are not deserving of raises, this doesn’t seem like the appropriate time when the $8 million USF President Judy Genshaft has pledged to them to come from the same budget being cut. 

According to Genshaft, the university is continuing to look for new sources of revenue as the university has been “boxed in by the Legislature,” pressuring universities to become more efficient without allowing an increase in tuition from students. 

Genshaft said the university would need more “full-paying students” and would try to recruit them.

While it is unclear what this means exactly, it sounds as though the university may resort to recruiting in richer communities that can afford to pay tuition in full, potentially damaging one of the university’s most valuable qualities — accessibility. 

So instead of investing $8 million in faculty merit raises in a year in which the state is already providing a small, though existent, yearly bonus, perhaps the university could consider investing that $8 million in areas such as scholarships that would allow the university to remain accessible or invest it toward bettering the quality of the academic services currently available. 

The Library hours may have been restored, but as the university prepares to restore its cash reserves, perhaps it should keep its priorities in mind, students being first. 

USF is a university and an institution for higher education, not a business. 

6 comments

Anonymous
Tue Oct 1 2013 00:47
Sounds more like an administrator than a student. How about paying administrators at the same rate adjunct faculty is paid?
Anonymous
Mon Sep 30 2013 10:10
USF is a sinking ship because of horrible upper administrative hires over the years. Look at all the junk bonds that plague the budgets... They were because of a former CFO. Look at Doug Woolard and USF Athletics. No real need to even talk about that. But what do all of the poor hires have in common? The person who picked them: Judy Genshaft. Get rid of her and you'll start to fix the problem.
Anonymous
Fri Sep 27 2013 22:20
Pretty much all the good staff and faculty who could (or are in a situation to) get out of USF have gotten out. Florida keeps on slipping into the abyss of Libertarian unfunded higher ed. You can see how that experiment is working. Check on the value of a USF of Florida degree on the national or international market....
Anonymous
Thu Sep 26 2013 13:06
We are about to waste hundred of thousands of dollars on homecoming week. I wonder what ridiculous amount of money we will pay some flash in the pan cursing rap star this year.
Anonymous
Wed Sep 25 2013 08:28
shame on you Oracle for not researching your stuff before posting this. How do you expect to have a quality university without quality staff and faculty? The staff have been working for several years now without any kind of raise, even with inflation and cost of living going up. When universities in other states can offer more money to our great staff, why would they stay here? It's about retention. These nominal (and I do mean nominal) raises are to thank the loyal faithful employees who have stayed here even when they got no pay increase over the years. And the nice thing about it is, the less you make, the more you get. So it's not like the big head honcho's are getting huge raises and the little people who really make the university run are getting nothing. Unlike the private industry where if you are full time, you usually have an annual review with a salary increase if you've done well. (even if it is just a 1% raise or something) University employees have those reviews every year, but they have seen nothing. This is a great thing for the state to fund. This paper used to have quality pieces, now it just seems like you guys are going for quantity not quality.
Anonymous
Mon Sep 23 2013 22:03
It's really a shame that the student(s) who decided that faculty that's seen one raise in the last 7 or 8 years and staff that hasn't seen a single raise in that time don't deserve one now doesn't have the guts to sign his or her name to this (which is the reason I refuse to give my name in return

Students and faculty/staff work in a mutually beneficial relationship, and pitting one side against the other serves no purpose, particularly when one side tries to make it an adversarial situation.