Daniels done for season

Published: Monday, November 5, 2012

Updated: Monday, November 5, 2012 07:11

Amid the celebration of the USF football team’s first win since week two and the defense’s first two interceptions of the season, senior quarterback B.J. Daniels likely took his last snap as a USF Bull, having suffered a broken ankle in the win.

“With his injury, from what I’m being told at this point, it is likely a broken ankle and B.J. will be done for the year,” coach Skip Holtz said Saturday. “As nice as it is to win … it comes with the other part of your heart (that’s) broken for a young man that has competed his tail off and given everything that he’s had to this university for the last four years. It’s just painful. It’s hard.”

The injury is reminiscent of one suffered by senior quarterback Matt Grothe in 2009, which  ended Grothe’s career and forced Daniels into the lineup as a redshirt freshman. Daniels will finish his career with 10,501 total yards, finishing third all-time in the Big East behind Pat White and Grothe, and second in USF history behind Grothe.

Much like Grothe’s injury, USF will once again be relying on a redshirt freshman to take the reigns of the offense. Matt Floyd stepped in after Daniels was injured on a 15-yard scamper that took USF inside the Husky 10-yard line, threw a catchable pass to receiver Andre Davis in the end zone and led another field goal drive.

After an off week, USF will take on the Miami Hurricanes in Miami, and, for the third consecutive time against the Hurricanes, the Bulls will rely on a backup quarterback. Bobby Eveld was thrust into action in the previous two games against Miami because of Daniels’ previous injuries.

“It’s like the first time you throw your car keys to your 16-year old,” Holtz said in reference to Floyd’s increased role on the USF offense. “You hold your breath, you’ve taught him well, you’ve driven with him, you’ve done everything you can and you have to go out there and let him play.”